Sep 7, 2005

Blessed

In the days since Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, we’ve all had plenty of difficult images to absorb. The stories have been so plentiful, so full of tragedy and heartbreak that at times I feel as though I’ve reached the limit of what I can take in. If I’m being honest, and knowing how truly calloused this sounds, I must admit that I need a hurricane break. Just for a day, even just for a couple of hours, I’d love to have something else to think about.

And then this morning I had to go and encounter the words of Christ in scripture. This morning’s text on sacred space was from Luke 6:20-23. Jesus tells us that the poor, the hungry, the weeping --- these are the people most blessed by God.

Now, while that may sound great in theory, out there in a “sermon on the mount” or “plain” depending which Gospel you’re reading, we’ve now seen what poverty and desperation look like in real life, up close and personal. We all know that in any society, it’s the poor who are at the most risk. Our instincts are to work and scratch and save, so that we can insure that we and our families are protected from that risk.

Blessed are the poor, Jesus says, but they’re also the ones who wind up at the Superdome and the New Orleans Convention Center, waiting for buses that just don’t come. They’re the ones that watch their infants and elderly die of dehydration, the ones who become victims of violence and anger, the ones who perpetrate that violence on others.

Of all the words that come to mind for describing the pictures of those suffering Americans, “blessed” just really isn’t one of them. And yet, Jesus looked at his disciples and said, in effect, “those poor people, hungry and weeping, those who are hated and excluded and defamed, those are my people. The Kingdom is theirs, and they are blessed” (my paraphrase).

In my world, that just doesn’t make good sense. The last time I checked, 2 + 2 still equals 4, but what if…what if Jesus’ concept of mathematics is just a little different than mine? What if it’s altogether different?

Yesterday I had the privilege of driving a recently relocated citizen of Hattiesburg, Mississippi to Lifepoint Ministries. “Kevin” (real name withheld) wanted to attend the job fair being held there for hurricane victims who are now living in our county, but he had no means of transportation. As Katrina bore down upon him, he caught a ride with some neighbors who were heading to Atlanta. They dropped him in our town, where he is now staying with some old friends.

By any American standard, Kevin is poor. The Hattiesburg apartment he managed to rent on his minimum wage salary was mostly destroyed by the high winds and rain. He doesn’t know what remains of his personal possessions. He left his car behind because he didn’t know if his tires were adequate to make the trip. He wants to go back and get it, but doesn’t know how he would get back, or whether his car even made it through the storm undamaged. He now has no job in Hattiesburg, because the gas station where he worked as a cashier has been destroyed. He plans to stay in Douglasville long-term, and he’s starting with little more than the clothes on his back.

Do you know what he told me? “All my family got out. Thank God, I got out and I still have my life. You know, I am really (you guessed it)blessed.” That word rang in my head this morning as I heard Jesus use it to describe people in a similar situation two millennia ago.

Blessed. Am I blessed because my closet is full, because my house is intact, because there is food in my refrigerator, or because the tires on my vehicles still have a little tread on them? Or does real blessing run a little deeper than our “stuff?”

Don’t get me wrong, I am thankful for all that I have, but sometimes even the way we express that sentiment of thanksgiving comes to sound as though we value those things more than our relationship with the one who gives them.

A few years ago I encountered a doctor in Augusta who was leaving his very successful and lucrative practice to return to a career of full-time medical missionary service in Africa. He said, “you know, when I’m here, it’s so much harder to see God.” I pressed him further to understand exactly what he meant. “Here,” he said, “I don’t see God so easily, because I see the grocery store, and the highway system, the bank, and my house my office and my church building. I see the “things” of life and become dependent on them for my security, rather than dependent upon God.” And then he said this, "when I'm in the mission field, I'm clear that it's God who keeps me alive."

That moment has stayed with me. Maybe 2 + 2 for Jesus really does equal something unexpected. If there is no other way for us to see through the false reality of our world and stay focused on real relationship with God, then let us become poor and hungry. Let's weep, and be hated. Let's become defamed and excluded because of Jesus. All of it is worth the blessing of real relationship with him.

Remember, Jesus made big points, in big ways. “If your eye causes you to sin,” he said, “pluck it out.” Be clear, I neither advocate the plucking of eyes, nor the practice of self-inflicted poverty. But I do advocate, and struggle daily to practice, the honest and frequent self-inspection of the soul that we all need so badly.

The events of recent days invite us to respond. In the coming weeks, months and years, we will have many opportunities to stand among the poor, which means standing among the very ones that Jesus called “blessed.” Our current partnership with Lifepoint and the other churches of our community reveal a tiny window on that “Kingdom” Jesus described.

That kingdom-picture may not look much like you thought it would. It may be scattered and disorganized, chaotic and at times disheartening. There will be no diaper-clad angels plinking harps or inspiring shafts of light cascading down from heaven. When crowded with volunteers and those who have come for help, there is a real physical and mental discomfort in that place. Rarely in our world do we see the veil of our seeming independence so brutally torn away. Frustration and confusion often result from the overwhelming nature of the task at hand.

But if we can manage to look and enter, we might just catch a glimpse of what is there, underneath it all. There is faith. Perspective. Relationship. Dependence on God and each other. Community. A word to those who weep today --- Jesus promises a future full of laughter. For those who laugh, let us weep a while until the laughter returns for everyone. These are God’s promises, and may God’s blessings be upon us all.

Grace and Peace,
Adam

LIFE AT SOTH

Hopefully our chain of e-mails has helped with any confusion around how to volunteer at Lifepoint. At this time, we're in good shape for drivers, and we're still encouraging those who want to volunteer to simply go to Lifepoint at 2990 Bright Star Rd., anytime between 9 a.m and 10 p.m., 7 days a week.
Thank you SOTH for your wonderful contribution of over $1600 this week for the cooperative response happening through the churches of our county! This Sunday, we'll have a special offering for UMCOR with 100% of funds going directly into affected areas.

Don't forget, "God is Closer Than You Think" starts next Wedneday night, 9/14/5 at 7pm in our worship space. We're going to start right on time, so plesae make it on time if at all possible. If you still need a book, make payment this Sunday and we'll have one there for you at the first session.

A WORD FROM OUR BISHOP, G. LINDSEY DAVIS

Dear North Georgia Conference family:

The news about the destruction and devastation of Hurricane Katrina is
everywhere. You can't turn on the television or radio without
receiving more information about those who have been deeply affected
by this tragedy.

The thread of truth that travels through these stories is that we are
witnessing the worst natural disaster in United States history. As we
watch this catastrophe continue to unfold right before our eyes,
desperate cries for basic needs and financial assistance continues to
be heard from the people of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and
Georgia.

Friends, I am proud to say that United Methodists of North Georgia
have been actively supporting and loving the people of these
devastated states since day one of this tragedy. You have heard these
cries from the needy, and have responded well. I am overwhelmed by
the humble compassion, kindness, and generosity that you have shown
your brothers and sisters in need, and I heartily thank you.

There is, in fact, so much assistance being offered by our churches we
can barely keep up with all that you are doing! In the midst of your
ministry over the weeks ahead I ask that you please take a few moments
to email me (bishop@ngumc.org) with some specific information about
how your congregation is reaching out to those touched by this natural
disaster over the next few months:

How many displaced persons have been helped with support or housing;
How many flood buckets, health kits, etc. have you constructed;
How many loads of supplies have been sent from your church;
How many volunteers from your church have been active in these efforts

The after-effects of hurricane Katrina have only just begun. The
recovery and rejuvenation of people's homes and hearts will take
months - even years. The floodwaters may have begun to subside;
however, I'm afraid to say that we are in store for some pretty
gruesome and disturbing news to come.

As we will continue to hear these updates it is important to remember
the word Emmanuel, and hold true to the promise that God never leaves
us. Even while we are in the midst of the worst US natural disaster,
God is here with all of us- kindly loving us, benevolently supporting
us, and gently comforting us.

As your Bishop, and as a fellow Christian, I thank you for the care
you are offering Christ's people.

In Christ,
Bishop G. Lindsey Davis

No comments: