Nov 15, 2006

Pilgrimage

Folks, the big day is almost here. That's right, your Chapel Hill Rd. Publix supermarket is about to open.

I heard they'll be giving away 20lb turkeys to the first 1,000 customers. Milk is 25 cents a gallon and eggs are a nickel per dozen.

OK, slight exaggeration perhaps, but I can bet you that there will be some great deals over there as they open their doors for the first time and begin their courtship of long-term customers. I can promise, if the folks at Publix are good business people, and they are, they're going to do everything they can to make their store a place where "shopping is a pleasure."

And, even though the store's huge marquis lights up "The Ranch" at SOTH with an eerie green glow every night, you can bet that I'm bound to go check it out, and I do wish them the best of luck in their venture.

But, when I go to their store, I won't be going to give, but to receive. I will have high expetations of service, quality and value.

What are people looking for when they go to church?

I found a great video this week that speaks a little more truth than we might want to admit.

Me/Church, "Where It's All About Me."

"I work hard all week, and when Sunday comes around, I'm tired," the lady proclaims from behind her desk. "I want a church that starts when I get there."

The announcers warm, solid voice responds: "Can do."

As the commercial parody winds further and deeper along, the demands from prospective worshippers grow more and more realistic, but the announcer remains determined to please.

The spot is hilarious, mostly because it represents the real dilemma of what life, faith, thankfulness and selfishness are all about.

Church is a place of theological tension, where ideals and reality crash headlong into one another. We know that faith in Christ is all about letting go, following him, responding to God's love and seeking to share that same love with others.

But we also know that those who first walk through their doors will often come asking one question, "what's in this for me?"

That's ok. In fact, it's a valid question. But it ought not ever be the final destination.

Somewhere along the journey of faith, "me" has got to become "you."

Here's what I mean, SOTH can't model its own motto after the big supermarket's.

SOTH: "Where worshipping is a pleasure."

Why not? What's wrong with that?

Well, while we certainly want do all that we can to make a morning's experience at SOTH a good and pleasurable one, the plain truth is that God just doesn't promise that life or worship will always be a pleasure.

Sometimes, faith will be a sacrifice. Sometimes, life will take an unexpected turn. Sometimes, we will hear about a cross, and always about a resurrection --- but we will be called to die to our old ways if we are to rise and embrace God's new ones.

But if "shopping is a pleasure" can't be our message, what can?

Well, our church council did, in fact, just adopt a new look, feel and message for our church. SOTH's communications team worked hard all year to produce some wonderful new pieces that you'll begin seeing soon. The message?

Shepherd of the Hills: "On the Path of Life...Together"

I like it. We're on the path. We're on "the way." We're moving toward the cross, the sign of Jesus' life, death and resurrection. We're learning, growing and becoming. We are thankful, making a humble pilgrimage through this gift of life that God has given us.

Philippians 2:5-11 says it all (The Message):

Think of yourselves the way Christ Jesus thought of himself. He had equal status with God but didn't think so much of himself that he had to cling to the advantages of that status no matter what. Not at all. When the time came, he set aside the privileges of deity and took on the status of a slave, became human! Having become human, he stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. He didn't claim special privileges. Instead, he lived a selfless, obedient life and then died a selfless, obedient death—and the worst kind of death at that—a crucifixion.
Because of that obedience, God lifted him high and honored him far beyond anyone or anything, ever, so that all created beings in heaven and on earth—even those long ago dead and buried—will bow in worship before this Jesus Christ, and call out in praise that he is the Master of all, to the glorious honor of God the Father.



And so, it's important this morning that we're thankful. For this gray day and the rain that is falling around us. For the way that God sustains us on the path of life. For the wonderful things and the hard things, too.

Thanksgiving Day is just around the corner, and there won't be a new "SOTHBLOG" next Wednesday, in honor of the holiday. So, I'm hopeful that we can continue our Thanksgiving tradition and spend a few moments here using the "comments" section of this blog to express our thankfulness to and for one another.

If you have a few more minutes to spend, you can check out some interesting history of Thanksgiving and also hear an idea about how the pilgrims might have prayed on that first Thanksgiving Day. I love their intepretation of a prayer of Myles Standish, which goes like this:

"Almighty God, we humbly thank you for all these great bounties that you have visited upon us. For these herbs and these beasts that have given their bodies and their blood to nourish our bodies as your son our Lord Christ Jesus gave his blood to nourish our souls. we thank thee Lord for the bounty of this place, for its frutifulnes and magnificence. We pray that you may protect us from the dangers of the woods and the seas and that you might smite any enemies that come to harm us. That you might watch over us and keep us and make us never in time to come fat and prideful. But help us to know that it is only through service of you that we have any wealth at all. In all things we pray through the name of our Lord Jesus, the Mediator of our Peace, Amen."

Grace & Peace,
Adam

LIFE AT SOTH:

Confirmation this Sunday! Our 2006 Confirmation class will be received into full membership this Sunday at 10:00 worship. Don't miss this important time in the lives of these young men and women.

One Worship Service on Thanksgiving Weekend, November 26th: 10:00 AM only

WORSHIP SCHEDULE CHANGE: Church Council voted on November 5th to change our Sunday morning worship schedule beginning in January, 2007. Worship times will be 9:00 and 11:00 AM with children's and adult SS at 10:15. This schedule will allow for better use of our facilities, more growth in worship attendance and more volunteerism in our SS programs. Our current Adult SS class will continue to meet, and a new Bible Study for adults will be offered in the worship space between services. Look forward to these exciting changes!

BIG BONFIRE WEEKEND AT SOTH! Our annual bonfire will be this Saturday night with a time of live music, food and fellowship. Lunch will be available as our UM Men's group provides BBQ and Friend Turkey plates for sale. All proceeds will support their mission efforts in the church and community.

"OUT OF THE BOAT" FOLLOW-UP: Thanks to the many of you who made an "Out of the Boat" commitment for 2007! We have many new ministry groups forming, and each of you who made a commitment will receive a letter in the mail this week confirming your responses to ministry opportunities and your financial commitments. This effort has also been SOTH's most successful financial commitment campaign in its history, and your faithfulness will result in wonderful ministry in the year to come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our church reflects our new tag line; "On the path and life...together". You are never alone on our path for Jesus at SOTH.

Adam M. Roberts said...

Thanks to all of you for sharing the things that you're thankful for this year. As always, I am so thankful for my family, for a baby boy on the way and two wonderful ones already here. For being your pastor and for the relationships that surround me. There's a big road ahead of us, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Thanks to all of you for being a home for us.

Peace, and Happy Thanksgiving
Adam

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for my children, grandchildren, siblings, my Mom and a wonderful church family. For the many prayers, hugs, I Love Yous and well wishes from my church family.

May all of us take time in the next few days to reflect on the many blessings we have and give thanks to God for these blessings.

Thank you for being my church home.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for the Church.(the people, not the building) I have felt welcomed from the first time I stepped through the doors of SOTH. I am thankful for the people that have taught me through their actions and words how to be closer to God . I am thankful for the softball teams. They have helped to bond together many of the members in ways that could not have happened in the Church setting. I am thankful for the Book Studies, Small Group experiences and UMM Retreat. I am thankful for all the opportunities to be a servant to our God. I am thankful to be on the path with all of you by my side.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, had I read further down Adam's blog, I would have realized he was exagerating about the first 1000 people getting free Turkeys, 25 cent milk, etc. and not gotten ready at 5:45 a.m. to be at the grand opening of Publix on time. But like always I get ahead of myself. I am thankful to have a Pastor with a sense of humor. I am also thankful for wonderful lifetime friendships, new fellowship and friends at church, the opportunity to serve our Lord, the blessing of God's gifts to me to share with others, my family, my home, food on my table, clothes on my back and a beating heart that is filled with love, faith, appreciation of life, the willingness and desire to give and help others when I can and the ability to feel all the emotions that one can feel in order to learn, grow and challenge my faith in God. I'm thankful for a wonderful past year as a member at Soth and for all the love and support I recieved throughout the year. The list continues to grow daily. I am thankful to all of you who continue to help me become a better Christian. I have a long way to go, so I am truly thankful for this new journey we are all on....together.