Feb 14, 2007

Open

Yesterday I seized the opportunity to run home at midday and grab some lunch.

For those of you who do the Atlanta commuter thing, please know that I do appreciate how wonderful a luxury this option really is.

I pulled into our neighborhood, headed down the street, and pulled into the driveway.

I stopped the car, just as I’ve done hundreds of times, hit the garage-door opener on my visor, and got out.

As I stood there in my driveway, what I saw just made me laugh out loud.

My garage was beautiful. Pristine, in fact. Immaculate. Graceful. Invitational to the act of parking.

It had gotten that way the day before. That’s when I used most of my day off to clean and organize it.

Then, I forgot it happened.

I should mention that a pretty major rain storm was moving through Douglasville as I stood in the driveway beside my vehicle. Literally, the heavens were opened and insight descended from heaven. Really, it was just raining on my head.

And I stood there, laughing.

All that work and energy from the day before…it was done with one purpose in mind. I was determined to do the unthinkable. The holy grail of suburban subdivision life…park in the garage. Yes, park…in…the…garage.

I had put up extra shelves. I’d thrown away tons of stuff. I’d finally put Christmas completely to rest until next year. I’d run the blower and experienced the joy of seeing dust and debris find its way out of our garage to settle into the greater world at large. I was one with the storage universe and created quite a little Garden of Eden.

Then, the next day, I parked in the driveway.

Did I mention it was raining? Habit can be so strong.

Sometimes, we park in the driveway when we don’t have to.

Have you ever had a Sunday church experience that just really hit home, touched your heart, lit a fire and opened the heavens?

I have, and I’ve seen others experience the same.

Then we park in the driveway come Monday morning. What was so real, so strongly desired and yearned for just a short time before so easily gives way to our concept of “life as usual.”

“I can’t park in my garage,” we tell ourselves, “because it’s full of stuff.”

Maybe. Maybe not.

But what we believe about it matters most.

Here’s what I mean: the grace of God is the most powerful thing in the universe. God loves us. He forgives us and stands completely ready to give us abundant life.

I’m not making that up, I have it on good authority

John 10 (The Message):

Jesus told this simple story, but they had no idea what he was talking about. So he tried again. "I'll be explicit, then. I am the Gate for the sheep. All those others are up to no good—sheep stealers, every one of them. But the sheep didn't listen to them. I am the Gate. Anyone who goes through me will be cared for—will freely go in and out, and find pasture. A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.

There have probably been moments when you’ve known that truth completely, and it’s resonated deeply in your heart.

Then, because you’re human just like me, you’ve proudly driven your car right up to the garage door and put it in park.

The habit of smallness can be hard to break.

Break it. Dare to believe.

Open that door, and drive right in. God is ready.

Grace and Peace --- and Happy Valentine’s Day!
Adam

LIFE AT SOTH:

Church Conference to approve land purchase, this Sunday 10 AM.

Thanks to everyone who participated in our conversation about buying property last Sunday. This Sunday, there will be one worship service only, at 10 AM, so that as many of us as possible can be present together at one time. Our Church Council has recommended the purchase of property close to our existing location and we will again present that this week in a “Church Conference” for up or down vote of the congregation. This is an exciting time in the life of our church, and our vision of the future is beginning to come more and more clear. Be sure to come out and be part of this great day.

Gang activity informational session last night at SOTH: Thanks to Mike Mulcare, our District 3 County Commissioner, and to all the county officials who were on hand last night at SOTH to provide information on gang activity in Douglas County. We were proud to serve as the venue for this important meeting, and it was awesome to see 425 concerned citizens come together (cramming every square inch of our property) to deal proactively with a problem that threatens us. We heard great words from law enforcement, elected officials and Juvenile Court Judge Walker. All of them emphasized the important role that churches and other communities of faith can play in providing direction and stability for our children and youth. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Servant Evangelism Update: Thanks to Tim Potate, Lamar Gilstrap and the many, many volunteers who organized our servant evangelism event this week. Thanks also to Chick-Fil-A and Jolty’s, who provided great coupons for our valentine bags that were distributed at the Target shopping center and at Wellstar hospital. A group of about a dozen SOTH’ers gathered and extended the grace of God to those who were out and about doing their shopping. Response was wonderful and great time was had by all. Look for details of our next even in March, which promises to be one of our best yet!

No comments: