Feb 27, 2008

Friend

"Reconciliation," statue at Coventry Cathedral, England


John 15:12-15 (Message)

"I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature.

This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you.

This is the very best way to love.

Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you.

I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning.

No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.


What's better?


Quality or Quantity?

A huge buffet of really mediocre, lukewarm stuff...

Or a nice little portion of something really unbelievable?

We want both...right?

The good news is that the love of God in Jesus really is both plentiful, and the best.

But we live in a world that values quantity.

Bigger is always better. More "friends," more rooms in our houses, more dollars in our account, prestigious members in our churches, stuff in our closets.

What if we instead focused on "the best."

Beef jerky "love" or a T-bone steak?

I'll take the T-bone.

"Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love."

The very best.

So, how did Jesus love? Sacrificially. Completely. Without reservation. Without hesitation.

And that took him to a cross?

Yes. But also to a resurrection.

And the amazing thing about love...is that when you empty it out...it's not really empty.

This best kind of love finds itself "complete" as it is poured out for others. It's the kind of love in which Christ's joy becomes our own, and vice-versa.

Pie in the sky? I don't think so. Jesus is talking about real, gritty, earthy, practical, beautiful love.

He calls us friends. And loves us...with the very best love of all.

Prayer: You could call us anything, but you choose to call us friends. We know that there is no greater love than friendship with you. Teach us the truth of what that can mean in our lives.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Tomorrow's Scripture: Romans 5:8


No comments: