Sep 14, 2009

Chew

From Psalm 1 (The Message)

...you thrill to God's Word,
you chew on Scripture day and night.

You're a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.

4-5 You're not at all like the wicked,
who are mere windblown dust—
Without defense in court,
unfit company for innocent people.

In seminary, I was blessed to take a class with Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, who was serving as a visiting professor.

I remember many things he said, but Psalm 1 puts me in mind of one in particular: "The Scripture is like dynamite! It can blow apart the things of this world!"

I had never thought of scripture as "explosive" before.

"During our struggle against apartheid," he said, "every time we opened scripture, it was as though God had written the words just for us, and it gave us the strength we needed to continue."

I know that every time I've spent even just a few moments with scripture, I come away with a sense of greater peace and joy.

What is peace and joy worth to you? Give it a try. Here's a good resource: www.biblegateway.org

Grace & Peace --
Adam


No comments: