Aug 17, 2006

Shoes

It’s official. I have a new hero.

Stephon Marbury.

Admittedly, this is unlikely. He has way more tattoos than me, I’m not a devotee of the New York Knicks, and not really much of an NBA fan at all (too worn out after baseball season…and then there’s college football…).

If you’re a GA Tech basketball fan, I know you remember Stephon. He played his freshman year, then said he “used” the school, and went pro.

Not good.

But here’s why I like him.

It’s his shoes.

They’re really cheap (I mean inexpensive), and that's why I love them.

Now, the very fact that UM preachers are out here loving his “Starbury’s” may point to their eventual demise. I can’t be helping their “cool.”

But trust me, this really is cool.

Almost as cool as the $1M gift that Marbury gave to Katrina relief last year, or the fact that it’s reported he’s hired seven barbers who give free haircuts to the kids in his old Coney Island neighborhood.

Yesterday morning, while drinking my second cup of coffee, I watched the CNN morning duo work through their usual routine. Their guest…Stephon Marbury.

He was on to pitch his new line of basketball shoes. OK, an NBA player with a new line of shoes. What makes that news-worthy?

They cost $14.98.

Yep, the decimal is in the right place and it’s not a misprint.

Fourteen Dollars and 98/100.

In case you’re wondering, that’s a little less than most NBA player-endorsed basketball shoes. Allen Iverson’s and Michael Jordan’s go for about $150 - $200 per pair.

The CNN host, Miles O’Brien, seemed indignant.

“Are you cutting corners on quality to sell the shoes at this price?” he asked. “No way,” said Marbury, “cut these shoes and a pair of Jordans right down the middle and you’ll see that they’re identical on the inside.”

“Well,” said O’Brien, “do you see anything wrong with selling the shoes for $200 if that’s what the market will pay?”

“That’s not what I’m here to talk about,” Marbury said, “what other people do is up to them, I just think if you can sell them for $15, why not?”

Folks, that’s revolutionary thinking. Or maybe just plain bad thinking from a business perspective.

$185 less profit, that’s why not --- right?

What Marbury said next really got my attention. I think I found myself applauding in front of the TV set before I came back to myself.

“I think we can teach kids that they can have a nice pair of shoes without paying $200. I think that we can teach them that they can have a lifestyle.”

OK, really revolutionary.

Who goes around saying that you should buy shoes because they’re shoes, not because they make you “cool?”

Besides really uncool parents like me, I mean.

Something rings a bell here:

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink,or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? …Therefore do not worry, saying, “What will we eat?” or “What will we drink?” or “What will we wear?” For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for the kingdom of God, and its righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6

Or, put another way, “there’s more to life than shoes.” There’s…life.

As my favorite guitar-playing, post-modern, chilled-out, deep-thinking, lyric-writing prophet of the thirty-somethings Jack Johnson has said:

look at all those fancy clothes
but these can keep us warm just like those
what about your soul, is it gold
straight from the mold and ready to be sold
cars and phones and diamond rings, bling bling
those are only removeable things
what about your mind, does it shine oh
all those things that concern you more than your time

I loved Miles O’Brien’s final question: “Look, Stephon, isn’t part of the appeal of expensive basketball shoes that they’re expensive? Who’s going to wear $15 shoes and think they’re cool?”

“I am.” Marbury said. “I’m gonna wear these shoes on the court and rip it up out there.”

Yeah. Good answer.

Folks, that’s the answer the church ought to make to the world, as well.

Who’s going to make decisions based on a different set of priorities?
We will.
Who’s really going to live in a stuff-crazed culture and learn to put stuff in its place?
Yep. Us.
Who’s going give TEN PERCENT, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? to God first?
That's us, too.
Who’s going to “not worry” about the things of the “gentiles?”

“We are,” says the Church. “And with God's help, we’re gonna rip it up out there.”

Seeing is believing. Now, I gotta go find me some Starburys.

Grace & Peace,
Adam

LIFE AT SOTH:

Don’t forget, “Membership Sunday” this coming Sunday morning at SOTH. We’ll be talking about what it means to commit our lives to Jesus Christ and to join together as disciples in the Church. Already, several families have committed to uniting in membership with SOTH this coming Sunday. If you’ve been considering whether SOTH might be the place that God is calling you to put down roots, keep praying about it, and consider giving Adam a call in the church office to talk about it. We’ll continue our current sermon series “Back to School” at both 8:30 and 10:00 worship.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too bought my timberland shoes at a cheaper price...and i love wearing them everyday