May 16, 2007

Recalibrate

Well, I finally got around to playing in my first SOTH softball game of the spring this week, even as the spring season comes to a close. Not to worry, there will be fall and summer seasons ahead.

I had a blast. What a great time with the guys. Even though we lost. Even though I swung like it was my first game of the season. I whiffed one my first at bat.

That means I missed the ball altogether. Mercifully, I got a walk that at bat, but whiffing a slow pitch softball is the ultimate humility induction tool.

The next time I did make contact, though just barely, squibbing the ball off the end of the bat. Finally, third time around, I hit it solid, though right to the second baseman.

Now, why would I possibly torture you good people who take a minute to cruise by this little site with inane details of your pastor’s recreation activities?

Because they illustrate “recalibration.”

What a great word.

Sometimes, we just need to “recalibrate.”

Ever hear a technical-type person use that word in reference to a specific tool or machine?

Recalibration is a re-setting of the measurements, baselines and processors necessary for accurate measurement. It’s a way to help a machine make a clean start so that it can do its job at maximum efficiency and with accuracy.

Let a machine, or a person, or a skill sit for too long out of the game and recalibration will be necessary before “mid-summer form” can return.

That’s how it works with our souls, too. Too much worry, work (or not enough work), disconnection from God, and stress from all kinds can just plain mess up our spiritual instrument panel.

Here’s how I recalibrated a few days ago. I turned the key in my car and the local country radio station came firing through the speakers (where I’d left it from the Braves’ game of the day before).

Here’s what I heard:

“Lucky Man”
Montgomery Gentry

I have days where I hate my job
This little town and the whole world too
Last Sunday when the Braves lost
Lord it put me in a bad mood

I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the sun's too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got

But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old trucks still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving
And one more day to be my little kid's dad
Lord, knows I'm a lucky man

Got some friends who would be here fast
I could call em any time of day
Got a brother who's got my back
Got a mama who I swears a saint
Got a brand new rod and reel
Got a full week off this year
Dad had a close call last spring
It's a miracle he's still here

But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
a few dollars in a coffee can
My old trucks still running good
My ticker's tickin' like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, good woman's loving
And one more day to be my little kid's dad
Lord, knows I'm a lucky man

-------

Nashville sometimes does good theology, you know.

Here’s another way to put it --- a few thousand years older:
Psalm 100 (The Message)

1-2 On your feet now—applaud God!
Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence.

3 Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn't make him.
We're his people, his well-tended sheep.

4 Enter with the password: "Thank you!"
Make yourselves at home, talking praise.
Thank him. Worship him.

5 For God is sheer beauty,all-generous in love,
loyal always and ever.

Nothing recalibrates all your sensors like a good dose of counting your blessings. Why do we think that can only happen with turkey and football in November?

I’ve got so much to be thankful for. No doubt, you do too.

So, I think it’s time to share the wealth of blessings again. Use the comments below and just drop a couple of lines of things you appreciate this morning. God is good, and so is saying that out loud.

Recalibrate --- and have a great day.

Grace and Peace,
Adam

LIFE AT SOTH:
Don’t forget that tonight is Wednesday night dinner at SOTH. Friends, fellowship and home-cooking for just $3 per person. Now there’s something to be thankful for. Many thanks to all the good folks who have helped make tonight’s meal possible. We’ll begin in the sanctuary around 6:00 but we’ll still feed you when you can get there.

Summer lunch program: Don’t forget that we’re only a couple of weeks away from the beginning of our joint ministry effort with MUST Ministries. We’re attempting to pioneer a new program in Douglas County that MUST has operated with wonderful success in Cobb and Cherokee counties. We’ll be preparing and delivering bag lunches to kids who are normally on the school free or reduced lunch program. Many community partners are already coming forward to make this program possible. We don’t have a final total on funds raised by Bill Clary’s magic shows this weekend, but those dollars combined with offerings from SOTH members and other churches and community members will go a long way toward funding this great program. Volunteers are needed to help buy supplies, make lunches and deliver them each weekday this summer. Contact Kathryn Beasley, http://www.blogger.com/kathryn@sothumc.net for more information on how you can help!

FAITH IN ACTION: Do you get prayer concerns and announcement e-mails from SOTH? If not, please e-mail Sandi Hockensmith at http://www.blogger.com/sandi@sothumc.net to make sure your address is on our list. In addition to these e-mails, SOTH has now joined Douglas County’s newly forming “Faith in Action” network. This great ministry was formed by Beau McLain of Trinity Anglican Church. Douglas County Department of Family and Children’s Services contacts Beau with needs for children and families in their programs. Beau then puts these needs out via e-mail to each of the participating churches, and we share with our individual congregations. Last week, special infant formula was supplied, as was a dress for an 8th grade girl to attend her school dance. Each week, great things happen through “Faith in Action,” and it’s great that SOTH is now a part of the team!

SOTH Sermons Now Online! Want to share this past Sunday's sermon? Starting with this past Sunday, all SOTH Sermons will be archived and available for listening at www.sothumc.net under "What We Do: Worship."

We’ll see you this Sunday for worship at SOTH: 9 and 11 AM, 6 PM.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I visit our new web site each day there is something new. Andrea, Jeff and others have recalibrated our new web site so that we can reach not only our congregation but the people within our community. Please share this excelellent web site with your friends and family.
Thanks again to the Communication Team.
John

Anonymous said...

Earlier today I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by 'things'. Some times we do allow things to throw our internal and spiritual mechanics out of whack. I'm thankful that God gives us reminders, through others, that He is in control. This week's blog came at the right time.

I'm recalibrated and blessed.

Anonymous said...

I always love your blog...most times, it's my "Sunday Sermon", but, not always on Sunday. Thank you..for you...and all you do.
B Ascani

alex said...

http://prieslar.info/?search=andrzejki+2006+warszawa
http://prieslar.info/?search=Atomizacja
http://prieslar.info/?search=bareja
http://prieslar.info/?search=odsysanie
http://prieslar.info/?search=weneckie
http://prieslar.info/?search=Piotr+Grabowski+ur.+1947