May 30, 2007

Trash

In my world, today is “trash day.”

Everybody has a “trash day,” right?

If you live way out in the country, “trash day” comes whenever you choose it. There’s no trash service...no one you can pay to do your dirty work.

Indeed, years ago, my dog’s favorite day of the week was that time when we’d jump in the pickup and head to the local dump with a bed full of trash bags flapping in the wind behind us.

But now that we’ve been officially citified (that’s pronounced city-fide if you’re struggling) trash day has changed significantly, though it is certainly of no less importance.

Early this morning, before the sun had risen, I heard the big engine chugging its way down our street. I was just getting out of bed, beginning to order my thoughts and make my way toward a life-giving cup of coffee.

The noises of gears and hydraulics floated into our home a second time.

TRASH!!!

That brutal moment of pre-coffee realization sends a shot of adrenaline jarring its way through the bloodstream.

You don’t want to miss trash day.

Especially not on the Wednesday after Memorial Day weekend. Gross.


You miss trash day, and things are going to get UGLY by the next Wednesday.

After my experience this morning, I really believe that the timed “trash can roll” could make its way into the next summer Olympics. The event involves strength, balance, clarity of thought and grace under pressure.

As I opened our backyard gate and wheeled the beast (three extra bags precariously balanced atop the can and barely held together by the jammed-down lid) toward the street, I saw that the truck had already passed us.

Strains of “Pass Me Not” from my childhood churches ran through my head.

“Pass me not, O gentle trash man...Hear my humble cry. While on others thou art calling, do not pass me by.”

As the “trash guys” worked their way on down my street, one of them saw my pitiful figure wheeling a mountain of refuse to the curb.

We made eye contact.

He waved.

A greeting? Or an acknowledgment of, “way to go Chief. We’ll get you when we come back by.”

I hoped for the latter. And since this was the second time the scene had unfolded this way in two weeks, I felt sure that those good men would save me from my own mess.

And they did.

It’s a good feeling, wheeling an empty trash can back to its resting place for another week.

Life can go on.

But trash-making never stops. And to keep things civil on the inside, the bad stuff has got to go somewhere.

Life without the “trash guys” would be tough.

As you walk through your life today, think about all of the ways that we really are dependent on each other. How many people got out of bed, showed up and did their job so that we could all eat and work and play today? How many people fill our lives with little kindnesses, going the extra mile when they certainly don’t have to?

The belief that we do it all ourselves, and that it all depends on us is the very heart of stress and worry and frustration. We’ll do plenty ourselves, with God’s help, but we would still be lost and helpless without God and other people.

The great news is that God’s love doesn’t fail us. And he’s always willing to take away our trash. It’s never too late.

If I can clear out a little bit of pride and replace it with humility…a little bit of self-importance and replace it with dependence…a big bag full of greed and replace it with the love of Christ…what a great day this can be.

We’ll see you this Sunday ---

Adam

LIFE AT SOTH

We'll be back to our regular worship schedule this Sunday...9 and 11 AM with Sunday School for all ages at 10:15. Sunday night worship is taking a break for the summer, but look for its return around Labor Day.

SOTH Men played in a great Memorial Day softball tournament at New Mountain Top Baptist Church in Winston. SOTH advanced to the semi-finals before being eliminated. Men’s and Co-Ed teams for summer are forming now, with play to begin June 18th. Contact David Pearson at 678-982-7638 if you’d like to be part of this great recreation ministry.

Our youth group is undertaking two fundraisers to support their summer trips:

Parents’ Night Out: This Friday night, June 1st beginning at 6:30 our youth will be babysitting at the church (with adult supervision) and parents are encouraged to come out and take advantage. If you haven't made a reservation, e-mail Andrea Vantrees andivan01@comcast.net or Cindi Bartlett cindi.bartlett@comcast.net to sign up.

Yard Sale this Saturday: This Saturday, June 2, 8 am to 4 pm. Items for donation can be brought to the church this week. Please place items along the wall near the church entrance. If anyone has stuff that needs to be picked up in a truck, contact Cindi by cell (404-375-2250) or e-mail and we will arrange to have it picked up before Saturday.

SOTH Church Council meets tonight, 7PM in the Sanctuary.

2 comments:

RandB said...

Holly and I commonly discuss the trash day antics of our husbands. We were also reminded that ours was not out this morning when we heard the truck coming down the street...it is a much too common experience at our house! I'm glad that this important life issue finally made the blog. Thanks, Pastor Adam!

Unknown said...

Hey Adam, I'm trolling your blog. Nice! Call me about a seminar. I think we can still work something out.

Len