Sep 20, 2007

Home


Read Luke 15:11-32 (NIV)

...17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.'

20
So he got up and went to his father. "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him...

I don't know about you, but I find "shortcuts" irresistible.

I love to believe that I can outsmart the traffic, and find a better route.

I love exploring roads, learning the secret passages through town and impressing those who ride in my vehicle with my superior knowledge and navigational skills.

Of course, we all know that the best shortcuts are known to everyone, and they eventually lose their appeal as they become clogged with all the shortcut-takers.

My sons refer to my shortcuts as "daddy's long-cuts." The groans seep out, whenever we turn off of the main road. They know the trip home may have just gotten more scenic, but definitely not shorter.

The "prodigal son" of Luke 15 likes shortcuts, too. He wanted to strike out on his own, gaining his inheritance early and showing everyone how smart he could be. He wanted to get there now, without paying his dues.

As a result, he found himself a long, long way from home.

Sometimes, the best path is the straight one, right in front of us, however narrow it may be.

We are free to choose our path. Our Father, like the prodigal's, will not put a stop to our freedom, even to keep us safe. But when we stray, and we will, we can know that He waits, looking for our return.

"Filled with compassion...he ran to his son...and kissed him."

The right turn, toward God, is the greatest "shortcut" we could ever take. Even better, is to trust him now, through whatever comes, and know that Dad really does know the way home.

Prayer: Father of the Prodigal, while we were still a long way off, you ran to us, hugged us, kissed us and welcomed us home. May we celebrate wiht heaven when the lost are found, and may we know that you can make all things right, no matter how lost we have become.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end, Amen.

Tomorrow's Scripture: I Timothy 1:1-11

No comments: