Sep 10, 2007

Pain


Today's Scripture: Read Jeremiah 18:13-23

15 Yet my people have forgotten me;
they burn incense to worthless idols,
which made them stumble in their ways
and in the ancient paths.
They made them walk in bypaths
and on roads not built up.

16 Their land will be laid waste,
an object of lasting scorn;
all who pass by will be appalled
and will shake their heads.

19 Listen to me, O LORD;
hear what my accusers are saying!

20 Should good be repaid with evil?
Yet they have dug a pit for me.
Remember that I stood before you
and spoke in their behalf
to turn your wrath away from them.

23 But you know, O LORD,
all their plots to kill me.
Do not forgive their crimes
or blot out their sins from your sight.
Let them be overthrown before you;
deal with them in the time of your anger.

Most all of us can remember exactly where we were when we heard the news that morning six years ago. At first, there was just confusion. Finally, there was recognition and disbelief. In the end, there was so much anger.

Our church gathered for worship that night. I will always remember the words that we prayed together. I had prayed them many times before, and many times since. Never before had they caught in my throat...

"Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."

At that moment, I didn't feel forgiveness for those who had committed unspeakable acts against my fellow Americans. If I'm honest, I wanted vengeance, and like many of us, there are times that it's still really all I want in repayment for the pain of that day.

The prophet Jeremiah knew what pain felt like. He knew anger, and in today's scripture we witness one of the most blatant calls for vengeance that we find in all of scripture.

We believe, and the Bible teaches us, that God is both loving and just.

Somehow, cycles of violence and vengeance must be broken. All the while, we trust God for the justice that must surely "flow down like water."

Just a few verses later, in Jeremiah 20, we hear this promise:
"Sing to the Lord! Give praise to the Lord! He rescues the life of the needy from the hands of the wicked."

May the Lord save his needy people.

Prayer: God our Father, you are the maker of nations and ruler of all things. Forgive our trespasses and lead us not into the time of trial. We pray especially today for the safety of our armed forces and for all who are in harm's way.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Tomrrow's reading: Psalm 139

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Adam, for this daily blog. It is a wonderful way to start my day and stay focused on the important things in life....spreading the gospel and praising God no matter what I'm going through at the time.

Your wisdom and teachings are a true blessing and help keep me on the path of life....

Anonymous said...

God help me to forgive.