Nov 9, 2007

Calling


2 Thessalonians 1:11-12


With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.

We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.


Paul prays for the Thessalonians that they would be counted "worthy of [God's] calling," and enabled by God's power to do every "good act" that their faith prompts them to.

This is powerful stuff to consider.

Imagine praying that today God would show you his calling in your life...and that as you are "prompted," (by God) you would be enabled (also, by God) to do the good things that God shows you.

Seem unlikely?

Not necessarily. Especially if you consider the "why" of this faith-enabled way of life.

The point of it all is that God would be glorified. The point is not that we would ever get the "attaboy's" or "attagirl's" that stroke our egos.

The point is not that people would like us. In fact, sometimes, doing what God prompts may insure that folks don't like you.

The point is that God's strength would be shown through the fragile vessels that we are.

Humility...or a right perspective on our own ability...allows real strength to take root and grow. That real strength comes from a life lived in relationship with God.

I know, I know. How do I know when God prompts me? How do I know I'm doing the right things? How do I know that I'm not just working my own agenda and hanging God's name on it?

Faith. Humble faith. Faith that says, "show me, lead me and make your glory known."

Then, when "prompted," take a step. It worked for the Thessalonians. Maybe it could work for us too.

Prayer: All of us who follow Jesus have a call upon our lives. May Paul's prayer for the Thessalonians be for us al well, that your grace will help us fulfill whatever calling you give us.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Special worship this Sunday at SOTH! Remember that we will gather together for one service only at 10 AM. Our preacher will be the Rev. Jim Hollis of proactive evangelism ministries. PEM will then report after lunch on the findings of their Discovery and Reflection interviews and surveys. Please plan to stay and take part in this very important discussion in the life of our church!

Sunday School will meet at 9 AM with childcare available. PEM staff will teach all our classes this Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This particular scripture speaks volumes to me right now as I consider SOTH as a place where God might possibly put me in order to work for Him there. Finding a ministry job is always daunting to me. Probably unnecessarily so, but I am always trying to be wary of taking a job for the pay and taking the job because that is where I feel like God needs me to be. Its a fine line sometimes, you know? But, as GI Joe says: "Knowing is half the battle!"