Mar 4, 2008

Light


James 1:16-18 (Message)

So, my very dear friends, don't get thrown off course.

Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light.

There is nothing deceitful in God, nothing two-faced, nothing fickle.

He brought us to life using the true Word, showing us off as the crown of all his creatures.



This verse of scripture assigns a wonderful name to God..."the Father of Light."

Have you ever found yourself in the dark, without the possibility of light?

It's a terrible feeling. Years ago, I found myself in the woods, caught away from our main camp. I had about a mile walk down a pitch-black trail.

No flashlight.

Eventually, my eyes adjusted. I found my way, but the experience was not one I'd soon repeat. I will always remember the feeling that I had when the dim light of camp finally began to appear in the distance.

Light equals safety. It equals home and health, and sight. It offers protection and possibility.

The darkness is no place to stay.

James reminds us that God is the Father of Light, the giver of all good gifts.

All of us are a mix of light and darkness. But scripture reminds us that God invites us to live in the light and to let Jesus drive away the shadows of night that cling to us.

Our prayer today is really very simple: "More Light."

Prayer: Father of Light, we seek the light of Christ to be made known in our lives. Whenever we are in darkness, teach us to cling and run to your love and light. May your light shine so brightly that we catch its reflection and share the light with others.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Tomorrow's Scripture: Genesis 1:1-5


No comments: