Mar 17, 2011

Hurry up and relax!

Luke 12:22-32  The Message

 "What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. 

People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. 

Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. 

Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.

What does the fear of "missing out" do to us spiritually? 

It does great violence, I'm afraid.  

We're not just talking about worries over money or possessions here.  

I think Jesus is trying to help us see when we worry about missing out in all kinds of ways.  

What if I don't marry the right person?   What if I don't take the right job opportunity?  What if I do something that somehow lets God down?  What if I miss out on the right moment, or don't go to the right place, or (insert your personal paranoia here).  

What if, what if, what if????

Oh my.  We are a mess, people.  

Jesus says calm down.  

He says more than that.  He says, "relax."  He says, if you really trust me, there is NO WAY you can miss out.  

Think about that.  No way we can miss out.  

What would our lives be like if we believed that?  

What if we didn't have to wrangle with and try to manipulate each other to get what we want?  

What if we just lived...relaxed...and made the main focus of our lives absolute and complete connection to the heart and soul of Jesus Christ?  

Grace & Peace,
Adam 

No comments: