Mar 14, 2011

The Lord, Our Shepherd

 1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; 
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; 
my cup runneth over.
 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (Psalm 23, King James Version)


Psalm 23 must be considered one of the great, iconic passages in all of scripture.

It endures. 

It has been recited on battlefields and at funerals.  It comforts in homes and hospitals, seats of power and homeless shelters. 

We are drawn to the comfort it offers, like moth to flame. 

And why not?  We humans need a shepherd.  We need the Lord.  We are not ourselves the creators of green pasture.  We are its recipients. 

That's the formula of Eden, and Douglasville, and all points in between. 

The Lord is our Shepherd, and the Lord is good.  Live in that peace today. 

Grace & Peace,
Adam

No comments: