Jan 18, 2008

Heaven


Revelation 21:1-5 (The Message)

I saw Heaven and earth new-created. Gone the first Heaven, gone the first earth, gone the sea.

I saw Holy Jerusalem, new-created, descending resplendent out of Heaven, as ready for God as a bride for her husband.

I heard a voice thunder from the Throne: "Look! Look! God has moved into the neighborhood, making his home with men and women! They're his people, he's their God.

He'll wipe every tear from their eyes.

Death is gone for good—tears gone, crying gone, pain gone—all the first order of things gone."

The Enthroned continued, "Look! I'm making everything new. Write it all down—each word dependable and accurate."



I grew up in the small, rural, Methodist churches of West Tennessee.

In that region, and throughout the Southeast, rural Methodism takes on flavors of the Southern Baptist tradition, holiness traditions and yes...even pentecostalism (though in its Methodist form, you might not know it).

One of my great-grandfathers, born just before the turn of the 20th century, leaned heavily toward that Pentecostal edge. In fact, he spent many years far over that edge, filled with the spirit and breathing in and out the deep, rich spirituality that he found.

He moved in and out of the Methodist and Pentecostal traditions. Eventually, the family chose the Methodist fork in the road, and much of our more charismatic leanings have been tempered.

But I can remember the power that Pop (Fisher) had when he heard a wonderful old-time song, built around the words of Revelation 21.

I can remember his sense of assurance, as he became elderly and prepared for life on the "other side."

The Book's final proclamation is a beautiful vision of Christian hope. It echoes what Pop used to say about the movement of life..."We may not know what's coming, but we're getting there fast."
The truth is he did have a deep sense of what was coming. Though we may not know the detailed ins and outs of what heaven may be, we have the promise of an eternity lived in the presence of God.

The old song Pop loved was this one:

"The Unclouded Day" by Josiah Alwood, ca. 1880

O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies
O they tell me of a home far away
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise
O they tell me of an unclouded day

O they land of cloudless day, O they land of an unclouded sky
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise
O they tell me of an unclouded day

O they tell me of a home where my friends have gone
O they tell me that land far away
Where the tree of life in eternal bloom
Shed its fragrance thru the unclouded day

O they tell me of the King in his beauty there
And they tell me that mine eyes shall behold
Where he sits on the throne that is whiter than snow
In that city that is made of gold

O they tell me that he smiles on his children there
And his smile drives their sorrows all away
And they tell me that no tears ever come again
In that lovely land of unclouded sky

O the land of cloudless day, O they land of an unclouded sky
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise
O they tell me of an unclouded day

Prayer: We give thanks for this wonderful ending of your message in scripture. We live today in the confidence of knowing that one day Jesus will "wipe every tear away." May that time truly come when there is no more dying, loss or mourning. May your kingdom come now on earth as it is and will be in heaven.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Tomorrow's Scripture: Psalm 23 (NO BLOG)


See you Sunday at SOTH! Worship at 9 and 11 AM and SS for all ages at 10:15!

No comments: