Jan 10, 2008

Produce


John 15:5-12 (The Message)


"I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant.

Separated, you can't produce a thing.

Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon.

This is how my Father shows who he is—when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples.

"I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done—kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.

"I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature.

This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you.

This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends.

You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning.

No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.


"Separated, you can't produce a thing."

This truth has been clearly illustrated to me over the years.

Jesus' gardening metaphor is powerful and true.

I love the day each spring when it comes time to turn over some dirt and put new plants in the ground.

My very favorite day is "tomato day," with its exciting trip to the Lowe's nursery to pick from the selection of "Better Boys," "Park's Whoppers," and "Big Beef" plants.

It's exciting to prepare the soil, dig the trenches (tomatoes have to be planted deep, you know), and then watch the rapid growth.

But "separated," they can't produce a thing.

I remember one plant last year that looked just as good as all the others on the morning it went into the ground.

But by the end of the very next day, it had withered and died. Somehow, in the planting process, the stem had broken...tearing loose from the roots.

The plant had received a mortal wound, even though we didn't know it at the time.

We people are living, organic beings, too. We have to stay connected to the source if we are to produce.

We are reflectors of the light of Christ...not generators of our own light from within. We are receivers of God's nourishing grace and love...before we can be producers of his love in the world.

Connection. Connection. Connection.

At Shepherd of the Hills, we believe that our call is to make disciples: to move people closer to Jesus, and to strengthen the connection that they experience with him in their lives.

We accomplish this mission by inviting people to participate in scripture, prayer, worship, relationships, giving and service.

Accept the invitation that God makes today...stay connected...and love one another the way Christ has loved each of us.

Prayer: Teach us to remain in you. Wherever we go during this day, and whatever we face...strengthen our connection to you in Christ. May these branches bear fruit through the power of your Holy Spirit.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Tomorrow's Scripture: Ephesians 3:1-12

No comments: