Jan 8, 2008

Strength


Jeremiah 15:19-20

"Take back those words, and I'll take you back.
Then you'll stand tall before me.

Use words truly and well. Don't stoop to cheap whining.
Then, but only then, you'll speak for me.

Let your words change them.
Don't change your words to suit them.

I'll turn you into a steel wall,
a thick steel wall, impregnable.

They'll attack you but won't put a dent in you
because I'm at your side, defending and delivering."
God's Decree.

"I'll deliver you from the grip of the wicked.
I'll get you out of the clutch of the ruthless."

In the midst of Jeremiah's deepest struggle, God delivers words of hope and strength to his doubting prophet.

Jeremiah was tempted to stray from the message he'd been given. He was tempted toward shortcuts...to find an easier way forward...or around.

God reminds us how backward that equation truly is.

We can't get toward the place that God calls us by backing up, going around, and trying to do it our own way.

But what if we're not strong enough to go "straight through" to the place that God calls us.

Our job is to just take a step.

And God will place the ground beneath our feet.

Which of us could ever stand like a "thick steel wall, impregnable," under our own strength and abilities?

Real strength is God's gift.

What is the single step we might be called to as followers of Jesus today?

"Use words truly and well. Don't stoop to cheap whining."

We turn our hearts toward God...we pray for right words, used truly and well. And we know that God will give the strength.

Prayer: We hear your promise of strength and renewal and pray to receive it in our lives. May you make us stand like a wall where we're needed in this day.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Tomorrow's Scripture: Psalm 72:1-7, 10-14

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adam,

needed to hear about strenght today, in a big way..especailly about my choice of words. My rodeo got hit a few weeks ago by a young lady the tender age of 19. It was her fault clearly, but being the nice stupid person I am I ask the cop not to give her a ticket since it was the holidays, and now her and her &^*** mother doesn't want to pay. So in calling her mother this morning, I had to choose my words carefully, because I feel that my nicest was taken for studpity. Need to get that out.... Thanks Shannon Credle