Feb 26, 2009

A Trip to the West Bank

Israel is a land of tension.   The history of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is long and complex, and it is much more than I can begin to take on here.   If you're interested in trying to gain some understanding, there are good articles and timelines to be found here.  

Many of you have heard of the "west bank" and Gaza when Israel is in the news.  The "West Bank" actually refers to a geographic region that begins with the west bank of the Jordan River.  Several ancient Biblical sites lie within this region, including all of Samaria, a large part of ancient Judea, and important locations like Jericho, Bethany, Bethlehem and Nazareth.  

We passed through checkpoints going in and out of these areas, but were very privileged to get to travel within the West Bank region (we did NOT go into Gaza, which is the heart of the current conflict within the region).  

The sites and people that we encountered in this area were truly wonderful.  I think that one of the misconceptions that I had about the Holy Land was that the area is populated primarily by Christians and Jews.  This is not the case.  There is a massive Islamic Arab presence in Jerusalem and throughout Israel, and especially in the west bank regions.  

We received only the best hospitality and had a great experience.   That said, the feelings of tension and frustration were evident in many places.  We took the picture above just a couple of blocks away from the restaurant in Jericho where we ate lunch.  It was strange to have experienced the hospitality of the people, to then drive right past the local PLO office.  

I had just shared marjoram tea with some men in a little coffee shop, and the man running the store bundled up a big bunch of marjoram and gave it to me, saying, "a gift my friend, grown in Palestine."  For all I know, he's the chair of the local PLO.  It is a complicated world.  


Also in Jericho, Holly got to ride a camel.  She's a natural.  Speaking of camels, a man running a fruitstand on the street (where I bought some of the greatest dates in the world) said to me, "Is this your wife?  I give you 6,000 camels for her."    

I told him that he had mistaken me for a rich man, and that I couldn't afford to feed 6,000 camels.  He belly laughed.  

Again at Jericho, the "mount of temptation," local legend says that this is the mountain upon which Satan tested Jesus at the beginning of his ministry.  

Another sign, this time in Bethany, near Jerusalem.  A massive wall separates the West Bank from Israel, and people cannot cross back and forth.  Spouses and families have been cut off from one another.  


I want to be clear that this is NOT a Palestinian man throwing a rock in anger.  He's actually demonstrating a sling shot of the type used for many centuries in this part of the world.  They call it the "David" sling, referring to the famous battle with Goliath.  

He threw this rock an astonishing distance, over some buildings.  I have no idea where it may have landed.  The other amazing part of this story?  He's standing right in front of the tomb of Lazarus.  Yes, that Lazarus.  The one that Jesus brought back from the dead.  

I bought 3 slingshots...now I just need some wide open spaces to teach my boys how to throw with them.  




No comments: