Mar 11, 2009

Does God Love a Good Fool...Yes!



I've been having a great conversation the last couple of days with facebook friends about my upcoming sermon for this Sunday, and wanted to share via the blog, too.

Here are the scriptures...

John 2:13-22 (New International Version)

13When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

14In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money.

15So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!"

17His disciples remembered that it is written: "Zeal for your house will consume me."

18Then the Jews demanded of him, "What miraculous sign can you show us to prove your authority to do all this?"

19Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."

20The Jews replied, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?"

21But the temple he had spoken of was his body. 22After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.

And...

1 Corinthians 1:18-25 (New International Version)

Christ the Wisdom and Power of God

18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19For it is written:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.


First thoughts...lots of news blurbs this week about the way that our society is growing more and more secular. At the same time, we're probably more highly educated on the whole than ever before.

What do we count as wisdom? What kinds of miracles do we want to see before we believe? What is Jesus' response to that? What does he show for proof, and how is God's foolishness better than human wisdom? And, how does he use the "foolish" to impart his wisdom? And, of course, the video above is a reminder of everybody's favorite literary "fool" (who is full of wisdom)...Forrest Gump.

Talk amongst yourselves...and let me know what you think!

My cousin Shana mentioned this great song by Nicole Nordeman, called "Fool For You,"


There are times when faith and common sense do not align,
when hardcore evidence of you is hard to find,
and I am silenced in the face of argumentative debate,
it's a long hill it's a lonely climb. Maybe it's true.

CHORUS:
Cause they want proof,
They want proof of all these mysteries I claim,
Cause only fools would want to chant a dead man's name.
I would be a fool for you all because you asked me to.
A simpleton who's seeming naive,
I do believe You came and made Yourself a fool for me.

I admit that in my darkest hours I've asked what if,
What if we created some kind of man made faith like this,
Out of good intention or emotional invention,
and after life is through there will be no You.

Cause they want proof of all these miracles I claim,
Cause only fools believe that men can walk on waves.
Maybe it's true.

Unaware of popularity,
and unconcerned with dignity,
You made me free.
That's proof enough for me.

I would be a fool for You,
Only if You asked me to,
A simpleton who's only thinking of,
The cause of love.

I will speak Jesus' name,
and if that makes me crazy,
they can call me crazed,
I'm happy to be seemingly naive,
I do believe You came and
made Yourself a fool for me.

Peace --- And see you this Sunday, Adam

No comments: