Apr 3, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Okay, so I am a low life that takes advantage of unique viewing opportunities, and, as it turns out, an incomplete version of the new movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine was leaked onto the internet sometime late last week or early this week. I was unaware of it, but an internet scouring friend of mine was able to find it and download it. The version I watched last night was incomplete in the sense that a bunch of the effects were incomplete - which was kind of cool. It was like seeing the step before production; having an insight into the movie-making process.

Anywho:

I am pretty sure this will come with an R-rating; I could be wrong, but, in my opinion, the violence might be past the PG-13 guidelines.

On the whole, the movie was great, but I say this with-holding my own, informed opinion which I will go into here:

There is a character in the Marvel Universe by the name of Deadpool who is far-and-away my favorite Marvel character. Ive read everything he has ever been in. That being said, I know my Deadpool, and what the movie offered made me extremely mad on so many levels.

SPOILER ALERT! (IF YOU READ THE FOLLOWING ITALICIZED TEXT, THERE IS A SPOILER. SKIP DOWN TO THE REGULAR TEXT IF YOU WANT TO AVOID THIS)

I thought they nailed Deadpool in the beginning. He was awesome! I was even okay with him not wearing his trademarked mask. But then they kill him off, which is crazy. Deadpool doesnt die. His healing factor is even more advanced than Wolverine's and he is a tactical genius on top of his near-unrivalled physical combat skills.

THEN they bring him back, but, in standard Hollywood fashion, they COMPLETELY mess with his storyline by giving him adamantium plating, patching his mouth so he cant talk, he can shoot optic-beams like Cyclops, and inserting his trademarked katanas into his arms so they unsheath much like Wolverine's claws. They also gave him teleportation, which is not too far off of the comic path, so I leave that power of his alone. He is the "MERC WITH A MOUTH" for gosh sakes. How are you going to mute the man, let alone the other atrocious additions?! And, of course, they kill him again in the end which means they probably wont have a Deadpool movie which makes me doubley-upset.

Im extremely upset. Truly, I am.

Okay, apart from all of that insider information, you will think the movie is just fine. Its action packed and it has its fair share of emotional moments surrounding Wolverine and his lady-love.

As usual, Hugh Jackman does a good job with his role. There are a few moments when he slips a bit, but who knows? Maybe we will get lucky and they will edit those moments out. Plus, Leiv Schreiber makes a much better Sabretooth than that poor excuse for an actor they cast in the first X-Men movies. Although I am not 100% sure that I like Danny Huston as a better William Striker than Brian Cox; in fact, I am going to go ahead and vote for Mr. Cox on this one.

You also get to meet the Blob and Gambit just to name a couple of the more exciting mutant cameos. I thought they did a terrible job of explaining who was who and who could do what throughout most of the movie. If you dont read comics fairly often or, in the very least, read the wikipedia articles, then you will be completely lost when it comes to relating to and knowing who most of the mutants in the movie are. That is sad, too, because a large part of my enjoyment of the film came from recognizing the mutants they never named!

The movie does a great job of giving you a glimpse and a greater understanding of who Wolverine was, who he is, and how he came to be. They most certainly deliver on all of that.

All things being said, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a great action film that will please most anyone who sits down to it. Its slated to be a summer blockbuster, and rightfully so. In fact, I will probably pay to see the finished product when it hits theaters in early May. Its easily the best of the X-Men franchise movies, and there is more to come - including an origins story for Magneto, the magnetic baddy from the first three films.

Here's looking forward to that!

No comments: