Nov 13, 2009

It's Raining Men, Hallelujah


At my house today it is raining men.

It started sprinkling earlier this week, and before Sunday, I am anticipating a downpour…I know, I need to explain!

Recently, in the September flooding my house was damaged. It wasn’t devastating. We didn’t lose anything we couldn’t live without. Our house was still pretty much liveable. A little unstable, but liveable… As I described it, it was just going to take some work…and since there was no insurance or FEMA funds (they said I had “insufficient damage” to qualify) it was also going to take money…and time.

Since I am a team of one, this flood really was overwhelming. Discouraging. I used all my energy and strength to remove the damaged stuff and try to save the crazy carpet. I did get some help from my dad…he helped me take everything to the dump, and started working on cutting up the fallen trees. I had just decided to work on it bit by bit as I saved for the materials to replace the damaged drywall and gathered ideas on how to replace the damaged sunroom supports…

During this time, many people in my area were facing the same situation, or worse. My pastor (Shepherd of the Hills UMC) kept asking me if we were ok, and what our damage was…I always gave a funny or sarcastic remark and never got into the details. Finally, he said, look this is what is happening. I served as an associate Pastor at a church in August that has a Disaster Relief Ministry…they have trailers of tools and a teams of workers. (Wesley UMC, Augusta, GA) They want to come here. And, quite honestly, I don’t really know what to do with them. But they told me to get it figured out because they were coming.

We need to come to your house, so, you have three weeks to get ok with accepting this. Oh, and by the way, we have a goal of raising $10,000.00 for this project-repairing 4 flooded homes completely. We are already half way there and I am confident the rest will come.

That was three weeks ago. I am almost there. See, I don’t like taking help. Especially when it is something I can do…of course, I can do everything. And I am sort of a control freak. I don’t really think I am, but I do solidly believe I am always right and my way is best…and that is sort of the same difference, right?

And, I don’t hire people to work on my house. I figure out how to do it and do it myself. One, I save money. Two, I do it my way. Three, no creepy guys in my space. And, I don’t have to clean the house for company.

But, on last Saturday when the “Scotts” Scott Samples and Scott Buchanan came to my house to see what needed to be done, I got really excited. I couldn’t imagine TEAMS of people working on my house. Since then, I have been preparing – also know as – PRAYING for me to accept this blessing and for the people helping me to be blessed. Prayer is really all I can offer them.

Wednesday, as soon as it stopped raining, two men from our church, Wendell Felch and John Ellison came to my house and began preparing and working on some of the projects. These men are so dedicated!! Did I mention their combined ages equal 156? I hope I live so long and can keep serving others as faithfully as they do!

Today, more men have appeared to work! And Saturday, there will be even more. I am so thankful to God for this, even though I am not completely convinced that I “deserve” it or “need” it, I have such an overwhelming sense of relief. A weight has been lifted. And it is so awesome to see the love of Christ pouring out through all the hands of the people serving in this ministry. This gift is so beautiful in so many ways!

I have tried to tell everyone about this amazing gift, at least this week. (Yes, it really has taken some time to come to terms with it, understand it, and embrace it.) And, I actually was telling this story to a man in Macon, Georgia, that was familiar with this ministry of disaster relief – his life had been touched through it as well after tornadoes went through their town…how cool is that?

Give thanks to the LORD and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done. Psalm 105:1

Enough writing, I need to go pitch in- but I wanted to take a moment to share this miracle in my life. I am so thankful. God is so Great.

Grace & Peace --
Jamie

Jamie Blankenship, LRE (Listening, Relating, Encouraging Ministry) Leader

No comments: