Nov 19, 2009

"For I Know the Plans..."

From Jamie Blankenship, Reflections on the flood...and the recovery...

We each have our flood story, in some way, this event impacted all of us. So, why did it happen? Was a dark force at work that day? Or was it God?

When I first saw the flood damage, I winced, heaved a sigh, and a “Really? Again?” It is sad that my life experience had brought me to a place where I knew exactly what to do to extract the water, what to throw away and what to dry, how to remove baseboard and sheetrock… I began to wonder if God was training me for a career in water damage restoration. But I never once thought this was something the devil did to me.

I firmly believe that God is always in control.

But why, God? Why?

Yes, I didn’t know – and when you don’t know stuff– you pray. Then, you go chin up and shoulders back. You fake confidence and take baby steps to go forward one day at a time.

But then I got sick. Some nasty virus that drained my energy, stole my voice and wore me down. And it just went on and on, with no relief.

At this point, I was falling behind in every aspect of life. I was letting people down. They were letting me know this, too…I “dropped my basket,” family terminology for breaking.

This involved hosting myself a big pity party, recounting everything unlovable about me and believing that I deserved every bit of misfortune that had come my way. I am an unruly child of God. I sin. God should punish me. Insert sobbing. I was a blubbering blob. Not an attractive look.

In God’s view, a blubbering blob is probably pretty good. He can easily shape a pliable blob. Once you are in a “malleable” state, the Master can really work.

In hindsight, I see the bigger picture. I don’t think God was punishing me. He was preparing me.

See, without pressing the pride right out of me and reducing me to a blubbering blob, I wouldn’t have been prepared. I would not have been able to accept the help offered until I was in a place where I really believed I couldn’t do it by myself. People, it took a lot of pressing to get that belief out of my bones.

I don’t really believe God punishes people. I do believe He disciplines us. Discipline is a process. Discipline teaches and refines with the goal of making us better. I believe God uses discipline to transform us into the servants we need to be to carry out His plans.

For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD.
"They are plans for good and not for disaster,
to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

The mission this weekend was incredible. Not just because a whole bunch of stuff at my house was fixed –that is incredible- but because we could see the hands of God working. Not just literally raking leaves and laying tile, but changing lives.

So many people were instruments of restoring lost hope and providing a glimpse into the future that God has promised. New relationships were born, deeper relationships were grown. God’s love was abundant. I believe everyone that participated knows for sure we were where God wanted us that day. I don’t believe there is anything more powerful than knowing you are exactly where God wants you to be.

Was the mission this weekend from God? There is no doubt.

Could it have happened without the flood? No.

Is His plan always perfect? Yes.

Grace & Peace,
Jamie Blankenship

1 comment:

Gail Hamlin said...

Jamie,That was a beautiful statement of your great faith!IN His Grace! Gail Hamlin