Nov 18, 2009

Now, That's Awesome

I’ve been thinking about young people a lot recently. Keep in mind that my hands-on experience is limited so if my observations neglect to mention the horrors of raising children, feel free to laugh out loud at my ignorance.

This past weekend was awesome. A friend asked recently if there was an age at which the word “awesome” becomes inappropriate. My answer, not if you go to SOTH. This is a House where the Pastor has actually been heard to say “whoot, whoot.”

Friday night at SOTH, I saw one of the most amazing, moving things I’ve seen in a very long time. I saw more than a dozen kids (ahem, some older than others: Cindy, Tracey, Andrea, Lynn) rocking out! Anyway, these kids were lined up in front of the altar, singing, dancing, and touching with more abandon than I’ve ever seen at any concert ever. My immediate thought “now THAT is the future of our Church.” These kids LOVE God, each other, and us. Wow. Now that indeed is awesome!

If ever I needed reminding that I can trust in God for all things, it’s been in the last 4 months. Those kids were only the icing on the reminders I got last week. Funny how the minute you actually let go of things you can’t control anyway and trust, grace happens.

Our youth, our family – that’s love, that’s grace. I’ve heard it takes a village. What it really takes is a Church.

Peace --- Joy Shaver, SOTH UMC Prayer Ministry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joy...that is the very reason I love working with the youth. They are not only awesome kids, but THEY actually help me more along my walk with Christ at times than anything else. They continue to amaze me at how they truly love God and each other. We have a fantastic youth group and I'm so glad God has allowed me to be a part of it with them.

Oh and I love rocking out to songs being lifted up to Jesus with or without the kids. Ask them about Sunday nights and my no rhythm dancing ;-)

AV