Feb 23, 2010

Getaway

Psalm 27 (The Message)

3 When besieged,
I'm calm as a baby.

When all hell breaks loose,
I'm collected and cool.

4 I'm asking God for one thing,
only one thing:

To live with him in his house
my whole life long.

I'll contemplate his beauty;
I'll study at his feet.

5 That's the only quiet, secure place
in a noisy world,

The perfect getaway,
far from the buzz of traffic.

What's "the perfect getaway" for you?

The beach? The mountains? A hidden cabin somewhere at the end of a gravel road?

A place where the cell phones don't work, and nobody's really sure what they'd do with the internet if they had it?

There are very few places where you can actually get completely away from man-made noise. Planes fly, trucks deliver goods, the world goes on in its busy business.

But that's not really what this Psalm is all about. The truth is that our times spent in "the perfect getaway" are few and far between.

We don't have the time to go on long vacations, or the money, or the energy it would take to get there.

What we need is for God to make our current location "perfect" in him.

This psalm is really about peace. It's about knowing that we can rest.

You can rest.

Listen. You can rest. You can rest in him.

It's been said that, "life is about our stewardship of reaction to each passing moment."

Take a breath, know that his grace is sufficient, and that peace is the gift he truly seeks to give you.

React from that peace.

Grace & Peace -- Adam

"His Grace is Sufficient," by Jennifer Knapp
I've exhausted every possible solution,
I've tried every last game there is to play.
In this search for the Christ like perfection
I'm convinced I've only left my God ashamed
. I cry I wonder can he hear my despair.
Afraid to lift my hands afraid he doesn't care.

And if he answers and I fall again
can I still be his daughter can I still depend on him.
When I'm down search every mistake, looking for new regrets.
sometimes I forget, I forget that his grace is sufficient for me.
that it's deeper and wider than I can conceive.

His Grace is sufficient for me.
My convictions seem to fade with desperation,
my hope declines with each and every tear.
My sin an anchor and this grace just an illusion.

The gavels heavy and justice is near.
Up comes the light and finds the stains on my hands.
Up comes my pride, I hide, I know he won't understand.
Cause it's deeper than deep and it's wider then wide.
why did I ever doubt now I'm dying inside. (chorus).

His Grace is sufficient!


3 comments:

jeff said...

the psalm also assures us that by resting we are essentially given it over to GOD. All of our burdens, pain, etc so that the soul may be cleansed and fresh. Once cleansed the soul is rested, believing and reacting to his message and not that of others. Afteall at the EOD the only real thing or person we can trust is GOD, so resting of the soul and giving of time as the psalm suggests is that connection we need.

Adam M. Roberts said...

What does spiritual rest look/feel like?

Jeff said...

relief from external pressures by knowing we are protected and comforted by GOD. I remember some scripture that says something along the lines that GOD tells us to give all of our burdens to him so that we are comforted knowing we don't have to carry them alone. That like this psalm suggests to me this simply analyogy; just like our children we protect and provide. Therefore they have a sense or relief and freedom.

So what does spirtual rest look or feel like not sure i can describe it. But to me "Rest" may be termed wrong in my interpretation, however i believe knowing that i have someone with me always that i can trust always keeps me grounded and relieved from the earthly stresses of life.

So maybe i should say spiritual relaxation instead of rest. When relaxed i feel alive, free and above all else secured in unconditional love and grace. Not sure if i answered your question or my description even makes sense.