Feb 24, 2010

Stomach

Philippians 3:17-19 (NIV)

17Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you.

18For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.

19Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame.

Their mind is on earthly things.

So...where is our mind?

If I'm being honest, mine is often on "earthly things."

I'm an "earthly" being.

This is where I live. The earth is what I see and experience. We will think most of what we can touch and feel and taste and know in a first hand way.

But this scripture is calling us to know that there is a different way.

If our "god is our stomach," we are headed for destruction. The Bible constantly reminds us of this truth: all things are passing away.

The world we see is temporary and changing. The unseen world...the world of faith...is forever.

Certainly, there is a balance to be found. We shouldn't be so focused on the heavenly things to come that we're "of no earthly good."

But more often among us Christians, at least the kind that I am (21st century American), just the opposite is true.

Life is more than computers, tv's, houses, clothing, food (and food, and food) and vehicles and schools and hospitals and security and safety and power.

There is a hole in the human heart that can never be filled by wealth, or food or substance.

The missing piece is the love of God. Let's don't miss it because we're distracted by the spectacle, and the stomach.

Grace & Peace,
Adam

A song about "the stomach," the darkness of addiction, and the path of destruction from the Son Volt front man, a truly great alt country band, in my humble opinion of course.
I
"Cocaine and Ashes," Son Volt

I’ve had strychnine, I thought I was dead
I snorted my father and I’m still alive
I did because that’s how it is done
I’m the same as everyone, just kinda lucky

Body and soul, Cocaine and Ashes
Get to that place in time
Tears and blowin my mind

It’s no way of life but I’ve tried everything once
I have no pretensions of immortality
I’ve been told I had six months to live
But I’ve outlasted them all

Body and soul, Cocaine and Ashes
Get to that place in time
Tears and blowin my mind

Senses and Spirit, Mourning and Misery
Addiction is somethin I should know somethin about
Whatever gets done I know that I’ll be blamed
They say the King is the man who can

Body and soul, Cocaine and Ashes
Get to that place in time
Tears and blowin my mind

Body and soul, Cocaine and Ashes
Get to that place in time
Tears and blowin my mind

Body and soul, Cocaine and Ashes
Get to that place in time
Tears and blowin my mind

3 comments:

Joy said...

Man, oh man, do I know THAT feeling. I've often talked about the hole that existed in me. The only way I lknow to fill a hole is to put something in it - something other than "cocaine and ashes" or booze or cookies or... well, just pick something. That life sucking wound can be, has been and will continue to be, filled with God's Grace. For that, I am truly grateful.

jeff said...

this scripture is a tough one for me and many levels because it challenges your faith almost to the degree of blind faith. It is impossible to completely remove yourself from the earthly world and that doesn't mean that you worship possessions. To me the operative word is balance and knowing the signs of GOD and faith.

Here is where i'm getting at, a person without taking some responsibility and simply reacts under blind faith is at fault as much as the person who is responsible and has possessions. Both parties IMO are called to believe and trust in GOD and in doing so recognize the signs and gifts he provides.

To me this is the tough work we christians must complete to truly understand the balance of faith and the earthly word. When a person completes the work they find the balance and understanding of the signs and gifts of GOD UNCONDITIONALLY.

Adam M. Roberts said...

Joy, thanks so much for sharing that...the experience has given a depth to your faith and an acceptance of folks as they are. Jeff, thanks to you too for admitting your struggle with this one. What other kind of faith do you envision, if not "blind?" By this I mean..."faith is the belief in things not seen." In that sense, isn't all faith the blind kind?