Aug 10, 2005

Circle

I read an amazing thing this week that really got my attention. In his new book, God is Closer Than You Think, John Ortberg says, “The central promise in the Bible is not ‘I will forgive you,’ although of course that promise is there. It is not the promise of life after death, although we are offered that as well. The most frequent promise in the Bible is, ‘I will be with you’” (16).

Pretty revolutionary idea, huh? I know, it doesn’t seem very dramatic to hear that a Christian writer might assert that God loves us and promises to be with us. And yet, for all my years of life in the church, I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a single pastor (including yours truly), talk about the primary and fundamental importance of God’s presence in exactly these terms.

Let’s try to be honest, because I'm pretty sure it's mostly honesty that makes up the fertile, and yes, sometimes stinky, kind of soil that we need for our spiritual lives to take root and grow. Even though we talk about it at church a lot, and we claim it as one of the great goals of a Christian life, I’m not altogether sure how much any of us simply desire God's presence. What we all really want from God is action. Results. Quality you can count on. Quick, friendly and reliable. God is standing by, waiting on your call. Or, maybe that’s just me.

There are reasons we long for action. The world is not right, and we can see it. Surely God must see it, too. There are times that we legitimately long for rescue. Last week the space shuttle operation made me think about the times in our lives that we try to fix a billion dollar soul problem with whatever improvised "hacksaw" we can make. Yesterday was one of those times that I got to live the theory in real life. I learned that a friend finds himself facing immediate, major surgery and then will wait to see what treatment and recovery will come next. When we know someone else’s deep hurt and struggle, we often find ourselves longing to “do” something to make the situation better. I longed to say that "right" thing. It just didn't seem that there was that much "right" to be said.

In seminary (that’s “preacher school”) they taught us that the best and most important way to care for someone in need was not to “do,” but just to “be.” A “ministry of presence,” as it’s called, was held up as a model of caregiving. Our presence with them was to serve as a sign of God's unfailing presence -- or something like that. Somehow this always felt a little hollow to me, or at least not very satisfying. If all I can offer is presence, surely I'm failing my responsibilities. If I was a better Christian/pastor/person, I’d know what to “do.” But, if I can't do something, surely God can.

Sometimes, what God "does" looks a whole lot like "being." Last night, a group of 13 men gathered here at SOTH for their monthly Men's Group meeting. We laughed, ate, talked about the group’s work and projects, and then an amazing thing took place. One by one, our stories moved around the circle, and we talked about more than the Braves and Bulldogs. Those guys talked about their lives, their joys and their struggles -- and then joined hands together in prayer.

Generally speaking, this is not something guys do. We just don’t. But we did. I was able to tell them of the news I had learned, of my concern for my friend and for the great weight that he and his family must be carrying.

I can simply tell you this. God’s promise to be present was fulfilled in that room. God really will forgive and save and love us, but all of those things are simply manifestations of his first promise. Presence. It’s all we need. Really, it’s all there is. And it is enough.

Life at Soth:

Great things continue to happen up at “the ranch.” Tonight, new flooring will go in the renovated kitchen/workroom and we’ll spend the rest of the week cleaning and organizing our new multi-purpose room on the end of the house facing the driveway. This Saturday we’ll be putting together some great new office furniture in Sandi’s office and getting her up and running. Many thanks to a great lady named Jane Hibbard who attends The Church of the Apostles in Atlanta. We found each other through Craig’s List, and rather than sell us her furniture as she’d planned, she simply donated it to the cause. It’s good to find a sister in Christ (with office furniture)!

Look forward to a big Wednesday night meal together on August 31. Starting September 14th, we hope to offer a weekly Wednesday night meal with a study on God is Closer Than You Think (the book I mentioned above). Also, Sue Goldsmith will begin teaching Youth Disciple for high school and college age students, Wednesday night August 17th.

May you all have a great rest of the week --- and see you this Sunday!

Grace & Peace,
Adam

No comments: