Mar 22, 2006

Forward

Bill Clinton was still president, and nobody but her parents had ever heard of Monica Lewinsky.

This internet thing looked like it might just make it, but you were probably still going to use a card catalog if you went to a public library.

People hadn’t even started worrying about the Y2K disaster they eventually would find out they didn’t need to worry about in the first place.

We didn’t know what a “hanging chad” was, and September 11th was beyond our wildest and worst imaginations.

We shouldn’t even mention what gas cost. "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls had just been the #1 song in the country. Not kidding.

And Shepherd of the Hills was officially 6 weeks old.

Where were you 9 years ago today?

I’ll never forget the sound of the massive pipe organ that pumped out the greatest hits of Bach and Handel, filling the sanctuary and setting the mood. Big bass notes rumbled through the wall behind those pipes, jostling my jumpy stomach, counting down the moments until our lives would change forever.

I stood with my dad and a flock of other robed clergy who had been very important in my life. Deep in the holding pen, my best friend told jokes to break the tension. Then, the moment arrived.

Chimes marked the hour, ringing slowly, one on another. The heavy oak doors at the far end of the long center aisle cracked open. And there she was, the most beautiful woman I will ever know.

I hope you can forgive the deeply personal nature of today's entry. I'm being mushy, and can't help it. Generally speaking, I really try to stay away from this kind of subject matter, but the calendar of blog and life have intersected perfectly today.

Anniversaries bring pressure -- to have just right party, or to buy just the right gift. This year, for us, our anniversary is a "Wednesday." Wednesday means a full day of church stuff, school for our oldest, playgroup for our youngest, and more good church stuff tonight. Wednesday means Thursday comes tomorrow and there will be ever more "stuff" to do.

It's so easy for us to get frustrated with our lives, if we can't make each special day and occasion stand out over and above the rest through some artificial means of imposed celebration. There will be time yet for celebration, but most of all this day has made me look back over the amazing course of my seemingly average life and feel a deep gratitude for all the ways that God has taken care of me and those I love.

Special days bring special memories, and those memories should push us to take stock, give thanks, and rest in the peace of God's goodness.

So much has come and gone in the time that we have shared together since that wedding day nine years ago. The mangy little puppy that took up residence in our apartment has grown into a graying family matriarch. The tiny newborns that came home with us from the hospital (I remember thinking, "seriously, you're going to just turn us loose with this baby?") are now rolling and tumbling little boys. They are learning what it means to be brothers, and occasionally, even now, we can see the future when flashes of the young men they will become shine through the wonderful, sticky dirt of their childhoods.

We’ve been through five houses in four places. We’ve made life-long friends from Ripley, Tennessee to Roopville, Georgia, and from Augusta to Douglasville.

Nine years later, we now know firsthand what it means to witness the birth of new life, and how it feels to stand at the graveside of a loved one. In between, there is this mysterious gift from God. We are given life, by the God who loves us. It’s a gift that's got to be lived.

Here’s what I know, and all I can really tell you today. God is good. No matter where you are, or what you’re facing, I believe that you can look back across the chapters of your life, in all of the good, but maybe most especially in the hard and painful places, and you'll always (or eventually) see the hand of God at work.

There are moments that push our faith beyond its reasonable limit. There are days when God’s presence can seem lost, when he seems absent from our perspective.

He is never absent. He loves you, he's your Father, and he is all good, all the time.

Look back and remember. Look forward and believe. I know that we are blessed beyond all measure. And I’m so thankful for that one who chose to share her life and the blessings of the last nine years with me.

The best is yet to come.

Grace and Peace,
Adam

LIFE AT SOTH:

Tonight’s study – Don't forget that we begin our detailed study of Good to Great, tonight at 7pm in our worship space. Childcare will be available, but if you read this blog today and want to let us know how many kids you have coming, that would be great. Kathryn@sothumc.net

Don’t forget your milk money! Remember, the "Milk Money" offering to support UM Children's Home, Wesley Woods and The Bishop's Initiative for Actions Ministries continues throughout Lent. Put in a couple of dollars every day to help our congregation meet its $2000 goal.

Welcome New Members! Welcome to David Pearson, to Mike, Ashley, Steven and Trey Bedoski, and to Shane, Tammy, Luke and Erin Meador, all of whom joined SOTH this past Sunday!

RACK Update: Send us your stories! Sandi@sothumc.net

We decided to give the $20 to one of the custodians at my office. We usually give clothes to him that our kids have outgrown. He and his wife have 7 or 8 children -- toddlers to teenagers. He doesn't have transportation to work -- he walks. He works very hard each and every day -- always with a smile and always ready to help in any way he can.

When I handed him the envelope, he wasn't quite sure what it was. He thought maybe a card of some sort. I told him to open it -- he did -- and when he saw the money inside, he didn't say anything. He thanked me and walked off. Later on in the day, I passed him in the hallway. He stopped me and said "I just want to say thank-you for the money -- it's so nice to know that people actually think about you -- and, you always do that -- I really appreciate it".
What a great feeling!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciated the anniversary thoughts. My wife and I shared our eigth anniversary yesterday and had a great day together. I am equally grateful for how God has been present in my life and especially how part of that continues through my friendship with you, Adam.

Blessings to all of you at Shepherd of the Hills from a "south Georgia friend."

Anonymous said...

God is good...through good times and bad. As I remember a not so festive occassion a year ago yesterday, I am thankful for the Lords blessings and promises. He loves His people who are true to Him and promises He will never leave us nor forsake us. I am very thankful for how God has taken care of me and my children. Thank you to my family at SOTH for the prayers and support you have offered us through out the year. I love you all and pray for you daily as well. Thank you Adam for your service and inspiration. You are right God does Bless us beyond Measure. I can look back through the hard and painful places and I do see the hand of God at work in my life.

Betty Newman said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I remember our 5th anniversary, thinking I was this sage and experienced wife...

This year we will celebrate our 31st anniversary... my, how time flies.

And I realize how little I knew then - thank God, I didn't know, what I didn't know...

May God walk with you and your wife each and every day - live your lives "each for the other, and both for the Lord."

Betty

(Oh, about those boys - they will be teenagers! And you will live through it!)

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful blog. The best one yet. God is good all the time. The one thing I have learned in 14 years of marriage is that you have to make everyday special and not just your anniversary. Trust in GOD and always find something to laugh about. After three kids, a house, a dog, and many people around us to love and take care of, my husband is still my best friend, and we still find that we enjoy each other.

Happy Anniversary!!

It only gets better if you rely on GOD to guide you.

Sky McCracken said...

Hey... I know this guy!

Nice post, my brother.

Adam M. Roberts said...

Rev'd Sky was there in the flesh, part of that clergy flock --- having "crossed over" to the clergy side myself these nine years later, I know what a big deal that was for him to take a weekend night away from his family and make a drive to be there with us to share communion.

Sky, you da man. Adam