Nov 8, 2006

Vote

Well, it’s the Wednesday after the Tuesday after the first Monday of November.

You know what that means, right? Election Day is over!

I’d like to repeat the offer that I heard a radio DJ make yesterday. If any of you are experiencing campaign ad withdrawals, you can call me up and I will tell you lies about people you don’t know in 15, 30 or 60 second increments.

I really try not to be too cynical about politicians, elections and our government. The problem is that politicians, elections, and our government don’t make that task very easy. After all, you can only believe and have your hopes dashed so many times, right?

Sports writer Frank Deford had a great article about the American electorate this morning, and you can listen to it here.

Like him, I’ve grown to be cynical about more than just the politicians. My deeper fears lie with the public’s seeming inability to care about issues and vote responsibly. What matters is not so much that we agree or disagree, but that we plug in, pay attention and hold our elected officials accountable. In democracy, things don’t just break down when leaders are corrupt, self-serving or shortsighted. Things really break down when the populace falls asleep at the wheel. Sometimes, sleeping at the wheel is a defense mechanism.

When we believe the lie that our energy, opinion and voice doesn’t matter, and when we become so deeply cynical as to believe that there are no good leaders left to vote for, sleep comes as a welcome alternative to anger, frustration and pain.

But here’s the problem. Head-burying is not a long-term answer. It’s a short-term pain reliever.

“Christian Cynic” just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Those words shouldn’t live too easily together.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m the first to say that cynicism is the natural response to much of what our nation’s leaders have presented us…over the last several decades in particular. As I was being born into the world, the truth of G. Gordon Liddy’s break-in to the Watergate hotel was coming to light. The nation was just leaving the quagmire of Vietnam and was faced with the reality of corruption in the Oval Office.

Scandal was followed by ineffectiveness, and then by more scandal. Then more ineffectiveness.

As I came of age in the early 90’s, we watched the Clinton scandals unfold, culminating in some famous and amazing presidential yarn-spinning, right into the camera and our living rooms. “I did not…” he said. Well, yeah….he did.

And so, here I am, squarely situated in a generation that knows better than to trust anybody elected to anything. I’ve seen a U.S. Secretary of State sit in the U.N. assembly and proclaim the urgent truth of things that just weren’t true. I’ve seen scandal and corruption and confusion. Need we say Mark Foley, Jack Abramoff, etc., etc., etc.

I’m not sure any of us know exactly why we’re where we are at this moment, nor where in the world we should clearly go from here.

Undoubtedly, we’ve got every reason to be cynical…and then some. So, why did I go vote yesterday, anyway?

Cynicism doesn’t absolve responsibility. Brokenness should never eradicate hope. “Better” is always possible, even if “perfect” isn’t.

This truth applies to more than politics, leadership and international events. It applies to the reality of our lives and the validity of our faith.

Followers of Jesus Christ, like all people, sometimes fall prey to the tempting draw of spiritual cynicism. There are moments when the most devout and faith-filled people wonder why it matters, why good people suffer, why evil people prosper and why the path of goodness and truth can’t be a little more obvious and well-paved.

Here’s an example of what I mean:

“Truly God is good to the upright,
to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant;
I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For they have no pain;
their bodies are sound and sleek.

They are not in trouble as others are;
they are not plagued like other people.
Therefore pride is their necklace;
violence covers them like a garment.
Their eyes swell out with fatness;
their hearts overflow with follies.
They scoff and speak with malice;
loftily they threaten oppression.

They set their mouths against heaven,
and their tongues range over the earth.
Therefore the people turn and praise them,

and find no fault in them. And they say, ‘How can God know?
Is there knowledge in the Most High?’
Such are the wicked;
always at ease, they increase in riches.

All in vain I have kept my heart clean
and washed my hands in innocence.
For all day long I have been plagued,
and am punished every morning.
If I had said, ‘I will talk on in this way’,

I would have been untrue to the circle of your children.

But when I thought how to understand this,
it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God;
then I perceived their end.

Truly you set them in slippery places;
you make them fall to ruin. How they are destroyed in a moment,
swept away utterly by terrors!

They are like a dream when one awakes;
on awaking you despise their phantoms.
When my soul was embittered,

when I was pricked in heart, I was stupid and ignorant;
I was like a brute beast towards you.

Nevertheless I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel,
and afterwards you will receive me with honor.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.

My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever.

Indeed, those who are far from you will perish;
you put an end to those who are false to you.
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
to tell of all your works.”
-- Psalm 73

You see, “it just doesn’t matter” may be one of the most dangerous and sad phrases in our vocabulary.

It matters.

Politics will be politics, and people will be people…but God will be God. Faith says that good will win the day. Faith says that nothing outlasts truth, integrity and worship.

We may get broken, but we won’t get cynical. God is good, all the time…even on election day.

Keep our leaders in your prayers, every single day.

Grace and Peace,
Adam

LIFE AT SOTH:

“Out of the Boat” Commitment Sunday was this past weekend, and it was a great success! Thanks to all of you who submitted commitments, both volunteer and financial for 2007. Already, over $100,000 has been committed and many more commitments should still come into the church office. This represents the greatest percentage of operating budget ever pledged at SOTH to date, and it’s a great sign for next year’s ministry. Many, many of you have also volunteered your time and talent, and we are sorting that information right now and forming ministry teams. If you made a pledge, look for a follow up letter in the mail very soon. Special thanks to all who hosted and led small groups during these last six weeks!

SOTH Photo Directory: Priceless Portraits will be doing our 2007 photo directory, and setting times are available now. Please look for the sign up this weekend at church, or give us a call in the church office.

Our Community and Congregational Care Team will be sponsoring its basket auction at our Thanksgiving Dinner next Wednesday night, November 15th. Don’t miss the great meal, special time of fellowship and opportunity to support local mission outreach by bidding on some of your favorite items.

Pray for our youth who will attend HarvestFest this weekend at Rock Eagle. This retreat is an annual event that always means a lot to the members of our youth group.

Our confirmation class will be received into membership on Sunday, November 19th with a dozen Jr. High students being received into full, professing membership!

Men of SOTH --- Don’t miss a time of prayer, fellowship, food and ministry this coming Tuesday night --- UM Men’s meeting @ The Ranch – 7pm, November 14th.

No comments: