Feb 29, 2008

Separated



Romans 8:38-39 (Message)


I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.


How did Paul get so convinced?

"I'm absolutely convinced," he says, that there is nothing anywhere that can separate us from God's love.


How have we become so convinced, sometimes, that nothing can connect us to God's love?


My cell phone won't work. Somebody cut me off in traffic. The Braves' bullpen blew another one. My toe hurts. My kid was rude. I was rude. My soup is cold. There's static on my radio.


God must not love me.

I'm separated.


OK, we would probably realize how silly that statement is if we said it out loud. So we don't say it.


We just live like we believe it.


Not the Apostle Paul. I'm sure he had moments of spiritual struggle. We know as much from scripture.

But he always knew, deep down, that God's love is just too powerful.


No matter how much static gets in our signal...we're not ever really separated.

There's a lot of power in knowing that truth. If we can't be separated from God's love, it means our task is simply to learn how better to tune in to what God is already doing all around us.

Paul learned that power on the Damascus Road.

Blinded by the risen Christ, he sat in darkness for three days. He had time to think. Time to know.


His conclusion? Nothing can separate us.

May God clear our minds and steady our hearts with a knowledge of his presence and love.


Prayer: Nothing "thinkable or unthinkable" can get between us and your love. You embrace us that completely.


Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.


Tomorrow's Scripture: I John 3:1


We'll see you at SOTH this Sunday for worship --- our theme will be part two of Max Lucado's "3:16." God Gives. Worship at 9 & 11 with Sunday School at 10:15.

No comments: