Sep 16, 2008

Doubtful

Luke 15:1-7 (The Message) 

By this time a lot of men and women of doubtful reputation were hanging around Jesus, listening intently.

The Pharisees and religion scholars were not pleased, not at all pleased. They growled, "He takes in sinners and eats meals with them, treating them like old friends." 

Their grumbling triggered this story:

"Suppose one of you had a hundred sheep and lost one. Wouldn't you leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the lost one until you found it? 

When found, you can be sure you would put it across your shoulders, rejoicing, and when you got home call in your friends and neighbors, saying, 'Celebrate with me! I've found my lost sheep!' 

Count on it—there's more joy in heaven over one sinner's rescued life than over ninety-nine good people in no need of rescue.

"A lot of men and women of doubtful reputation were hanging around Jesus..." 

Think about that for a second...really, really think about it.  

"Doubtful reputation."  

Let's make that clear:  drunkards, prostitutes, thieves, criminals and cheaters of most every description.  Lepers, outsiders, physically crippled, diseased.  This tended to be the crowd that Jesus drew to himself. 

And they listened intently.  Coincidence?  

What does your church look like on Sunday morning?  Do you find people in worship who are of "doubtful reputation."  

I remember a wise older pastor, years ago, as I was just entering ministry who said, "Adam, people don't like to show off their problems at church...they like to show off their children."  

I have found that pearl of wisdom to be very true.  

But if we really want to be Jesus followers, and even go so far as to affirm the Biblical truth that he is alive and that his kingdom can grow "within us," then we have to figure out how to become a congregation for the disreputable.  

Fascinating, isn't it?  

Jesus was clear about his mission.  And as a hard-working-first-born-do-it-right-or-lets-not-do-it-at-all-type, I have to admit that maybe he hurts my feelings just a little bit.  

Heaven rejoices more for one who was lost than for 99 who didn't need to be found?  Don't we get any credit for doing it right?  

No.  "Doing it right" is an illusion.  The plain spiritual truth of life is that none of us do it "right" on our own.  We're all in need of God's grace and redemption.  It's just blessedly more easy for some folks to see and admit than it is for others.  

This past weekend, I had to attend another UM event about how to reach the "unchurched" (please don't use that phrase for the normal people out there who don't go to church, it is not endearing).  

We had discussion questions.  The last one was the best:  "Does your church have love for all people?  Do you pray for all of the people in your community?" 

There might be one, even better question:  "Do people of questionable reputation feel drawn to your church like they were drawn to Jesus?"  

Prayer:  Father God, we pray that we could embrace our own "questionable reputations," and come to you for forgiveness and transformation.  Forgive us if we place ourselves above any of your other children.  Give us passion for the disreputable, and may Jesus draw all people through the worship and fellowship of our churches.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.  As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.  World without end.  Amen.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!

The man who cuts the lawn at our new church obviously has a drinking problem and is not very well groomed to say the least. I was told by someone this past week that he is not even allowed to enter another church that is nearby. Not because he has done anything disruptive, but because he is an alcoholic and an undesirable. WOW! I have had the chance to interact with a lot of recovering addicts lately and a recurring theme is that they just don't feel welcome when they go to church. It really turns my stomach and breaks my heart when I hear that. When we moved to our new church one of the first things I heard was that our church had JUST been a hospital for sinners, but people were not sticking around when they got better. I thought, what a great mission this church has. We forget so easy sometimes what we read in Romans 5:6 " You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless God died for the UNGODLY." Paul levels out the playing field for us all when he includes every single one of us in the category of Ungodly. When we categorize ourselves as righteous and others as ungodly, we are opening the door to judgement, on ourselves.

What a great post, Adam.

SB

Anonymous said...

"Do people of questionable reputation feel drawn to your church like they were drawn to Jesus?" I can answer that with a wholehearted YES! You got me, didn't you?! I'm proud of that disreputable monicker now. I am open and honest about my experiences because my story might help save a life but that means my church family knows where I have been, too. Not once, ever, have I felt anything but utterly loved and part of SOTH. Drawn to SOTH? You bet your questionable reputation I am!

Joy