Sep 12, 2012

When Heaven Throws a Party

30 Day Church Challenge:  Day 27
Read pgs 136-139

"...when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.'  In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."  Jesus, Luke 15

Today's reading from our guidebook says that "humans are 'party animals.'"  True, no doubt.

Weddings, birthdays, holidays, no reason at all...we love to eat and drink and dance and party.  This is true across cultures, times and places.

I remember the 2 person living room party that broke out where I was in October of 1995.  After years of faithful struggle and last place finishes, my Dad and I watched a soft fly ball to center land gently in the glove of Marquis Grissom.  Our Braves had beaten the Indians 1-0 and had won Game 6 of the World Series.  They had done it.  They were the champs.

I'm pretty sure we wept tears as we watched players who had become to us like old friends, dance and party on the field.  We hugged, we danced.  It was a party.

Over a baseball game.  Over a team composed of guys that we would never know, and "our" shared success.

Weird, huh?  Yes, it really is.

How could we get that excited over something that inconsequential, and yet fail to be passionate about some of life's most important things?

It's what we human beings tend to do.

Jesus tells us that the greatest heavenly celebrations begin to break forth whenever "one sinner repents."  The image he gives us is of angels having a party.  So, what holds us back?

It takes faith to believe.  It takes a radical shift in priorities.  It takes really believing that faith in Jesus makes  a difference now and forever.

Jesus knew that passion was everything.  He knew that humans who really believed in the joy of the mission would fulfill it in greater ways than we could ever begin to imagine.  And so he draws a clear picture of what matters, and what a real source of our joy should be.

And so, I pray for myself and for you, that we'll be that passionate about seeing others experience a release from sin, guilt and shame.  I pray that we have experienced it ourselves, and that we will share that passionate focus with others.

Of course, should the Braves somehow win it all this October, you can believe that I'll be just as excited as I was in '95.  But Lord, let me carry that hope and passion into my life with others today.

Grace, Peace, and Party --
Adam

Today's Small Step:  Who are the "top five" folks from yesterday's list who seem skeptical, hurt, or seeking when it comes to their faith?  List one small thing that you can do to deepen your relationship with each of them, like:  "invite them for dinner,"  "take them to lunch,"  "invite them to a church event."

Today's Big Idea:  Describe the party in heaven that will happen when one you love so much finds repentance, peace and new life in their relationship with God.  Use your imagination!



No comments: