May 9, 2008

Tabernacle

Luke 5:5-11

The Miraculous Catch of Fish

Simon said, "Master, we've been fishing hard all night and haven't caught even a minnow. But if you say so, I'll let out the nets."

It was no sooner said than done—a huge haul of fish, straining the nets past capacity. They waved to their partners in the other boat to come help them.

They filled both boats, nearly swamping them with the catch.

Simon Peter, when he saw it, fell to his knees before Jesus.

"Master, leave. I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness. Leave me to myself."

When they pulled in that catch of fish, awe overwhelmed Simon and everyone with him. It was the same with James and John, Zebedee's sons, coworkers with Simon.

Jesus said to Simon, "There is nothing to fear. From now on you'll be fishing for men and women."

They pulled their boats up on the beach, left them, nets and all, and followed him.


What happens when we humans have a truthfully transcendent encounter with the divine?

Based on Biblical accounts, it seems that we become very aware of who we are...and who we're not.

Our shortcomings seem to come into clearer focus than ever before.

At least this seems to have been the case for Peter...and he was not the first.

When the prophet Isaiah encountered temple-shaking, fiery seraphim during his call to speak on behalf of God, he had the very same reaction.

From Isaiah 6:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Master sitting on a throne—high, exalted!—and the train of his robes filled the Temple. Angel-seraphs hovered above him, each with six wings. With two wings they covered their faces, with two their feet, and with two they flew. And they called back and forth one to the other,

Holy, Holy, Holy is God-of-the-Angel-Armies.
His bright glory fills the whole earth.
The foundations trembled at the sound of the angel voices, and then the whole house filled with smoke. I said,

"Doom! It's Doomsday!
I'm as good as dead!
Every word I've ever spoken is tainted—
blasphemous even!
And the people I live with talk the same way,
using words that corrupt and desecrate.
And here I've looked God in the face!
The King! God-of-the-Angel-Armies!"

The setting for Peter was very different...but perhaps not so much.

His fishing boat had become a temple...in fact, it had become the tabernacle of the living God.

Simon Peter, when he saw it, fell to his knees before Jesus.

"Master, leave. I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness. Leave me to myself."

I wonder if you've ever said those words to God, in one subtle way or another.

I know that I certainly have. Realization of the power and holiness of God makes us want to hide sometimes. It makes us afraid...of God's judgment, or of what God may ask us to do in his service.

The truth is that there is never reason to be afraid.

Isaiah 6

Then one of the angel-seraphs flew to me. He held a live coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. He touched my mouth with the coal and said,

"Look. This coal has touched your lips.
Gone your guilt,
your sins wiped out."

Luke 5

Jesus said to Simon, "There is nothing to fear. From now on you'll be fishing for men and women."

The rest, as they say, is history...but it's a living history, that includes you and me.

And then I heard the voice of the Master:
"Whom shall I send?
Who will go for us?"
I spoke up,
"I'll go.
Send me!"

They pulled their boats up on the beach, left them, nets and all, and followed him.

Prayer: Somewhere today, in this world that you have made, we will encounter and realize your divine presence. Our instincts will kick in, and we may want to run. Help us know that we are safe with you, that you will always take care of us, no matter the calling. Hold our hands as we leave both boats and nets on the beach to walk with you.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.


MAKE MAMA HAPPY THIS SUNDAY!!

MOTHER'S DAY WORSHIP @ SOTH --
9 & 11 A.M. WITH SUNDAY SCHOOL FOR ALL AGES AT 10:15.

WE'LL SEE YOUR MAMA 'N THEM THIS WEEKEND!

No comments: