Jun 24, 2009

Sanctuary

Psalm 9:9-14 (The Message)

God
's a safe-house for the battered, a sanctuary during bad times.

The moment you arrive, you relax;
you're never sorry you knocked.

Sing your songs to Zion-dwelling
God, tell his stories to everyone you meet: How he tracks down killers yet keeps his eye on us, registers every whimper and moan.

Be kind to me,
God; I've been kicked around long enough.

Once you've pulled me back
from the gates of death, I'll write the book on Hallelujahs;

On the corner of Main and First I'll hold a street meeting;

I'll be the song leader; we'll fill the air
with salvation songs.

I love this psalm so much. It makes me feel better about myself. And, it makes me feel really good about God.

It reminds me that even the psalm-writer could feel sorry for himself. And, even he could go passive-aggressive: "I've been kicked around long enough, Lord..."

What images! God is a "safe house." In fact, it almost sounds like God is a "beach house," a place to relax as soon as you walk in.

Whatever you're up against today...a simple reminder...our God, "hears every whimper and moan." Our task? To fill the air with salvation songs.

Grace & Peace,
Adam

No comments: