Jun 26, 2009

"Unless You Change..."

Friday is usually the day I blog here about a Wesley teaching, but today I am writing on something altogether seperate for two reasons:

1) I did not really make time for Mr. Wesley this week. My badskies.

2) Today was Water Day at SOTH.

Watching the kids play in the water today reminded me of something Jesus said in the Good Ole' New Testament:

"I tell you the truth: Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven." (Matthew 18:3)

What struck me about the kids' play today was that they were not concerned with what was not there.

You see, I found myself thinking "How in the world did I ever have fun in a foot-deep pool or with a sprinkler?" I was reminded, even, of a Mitch Hedberg joke:

"I saw a commercial for an above-ground pool. It was 30 seconds long because that is the maximum amount of time you can depict yourself having fun in an above-ground pool. If it was 31 seconds long, the actor would say "The water is only up to here. What do I do now? Throw the ball back to Jimmy or put some goggles on and look at his feet? I cant even drown my knee-caps."

But the kids were not concerned about what they did not have. I did not once hear a single kid ask where the diving board was, or complain that the slip-n-slide was too short, or that there werent enough water guns. Instead, they chose to enjoy what had been provided.

How often do you wish for more or complain about what we do not have? Especially in today's economic circumstances, right? Even when the economy is at it's peak, we find ourselves discontented.

That is why I believe Jesus wants us to be like the little children. He wants us, too, to be grateful for what we have and to not worry about what we dont. Adam will be speaking more to this idea on Sunday when he tackles the tenth commandment: coveting.

Learn to be grateful, not greedy.

Peace.

No comments: