Mar 4, 2010

Repent

Luke 13:1-5 (NIV)

1Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices.

2Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way?

3I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

4Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem?

5I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

It's called "The Iron Triangle" of evil.

Three sides...each one unwilling to "give."

God is good. God is all-powerful. But evil is real.

How can this be?

Theologians have puzzled this situation for centuries. I used to as well. I spent time in my youth, and definitely during my seminary years, reading book after book and writing lots of papers on the subject.

I finally gave up. And it was the best thing I ever did.

Some in the crowd told Jesus about good people who had just been killed by Pilate and the Romans. Jesus countered by reminding them of a dozen folks, just killed when a tower fell.

Today, there are earthquakes everywhere lately. We don't have to look far in the news to see the reality of evil, both natural and man-made.

Why does an all-powerful, all-good God allow it?

I put my faith in him. Remember Monday? His ways and thoughts are not our ways and thoughts. I don't understand it all. But I do trust.

God is good. His love is real. This world is filled with uncertainty and brokenness. God works to redeem it.

That's what Jesus reminds us when his disciples ask him about evil.

"Repent...or you too will perish."

Let's spend our time and energy pondering that one...it seems important.

Grace & Peace,
Adam



"I Repent," by Derek Webb (note, the video is a cover, not Derek himself)
i repent of my pursuit of America's dream
i repent of living like i deserve anything
my house, my fence, my kids, and my wife
in our suburb where we're safe and white
i am wrong and of these things i repent

i repent of parading my liberty
i repent of paying forvwhat i get for free
the way i believe that i am living right
by trading sins for others that are easier to hide
i am wrong and of these things i repent

i repent judging by a law that even i can't keep
wearin righteousness like a disguise to see through
the planks in my own eyes

i repent of trading truth for false unity
i repent of confusing peace and idolatry
of caring more of what they think than what i know of what they need
and domesticating You until You look just like me
i am wrong and of these things i repent




2 comments:

Jeff said...

To me this passage is somewhat of a parrable. Jesus is hearing stories and responds with his own, which is not a message of evil or destruction. He is essentially saying all people are entitled to the GRACE of GOD if they repent and ask GOD into their life. In doing so your sole instruction is to trust in GOD and not ask "Why?".

During our prayer service with the Haitain church we learned this reality. Things happen for a reason and for the Haitain pastor he shared countless stories bout evil people that perished, lost people who repented and received christ and believers who served by the grace of GOD but also some that did not. The pastor's point was that behind this tragedy is new life, fresher and with more purpose. The pastor said some believers were sacrificed to provide a better life and example of entitlement to all that seek it.

Adam M. Roberts said...

Had lunch today with Pastor Guito. It was a very powerful time spent with a good friend, and an invitation to take a journey into the heart of some pain and do ministry.