Mar 22, 2010

Servant

March 28th is Palm Sunday. As we approach this Sunday's worship, we'll read the lectionary texts that relate to the Passion of the Christ, as well as the Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem.

M: Isaiah 50:4-9
T: Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
W: Philippians 2:5-11
Th: Luke 19:28-36
F: Luke 19:37-40


Isaiah 50:4-9 (NIV)

4 The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue,
to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.

5 The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears,
and I have not been rebellious;
I have not drawn back.

6 I offered my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from mocking and spitting.

7 Because the Sovereign LORD helps me,
I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
and I know I will not be put to shame.

8 He who vindicates me is near.
Who then will bring charges against me?
Let us face each other!
Who is my accuser?
Let him confront me!

9 It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me.
Who is he that will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
the moths will eat them up.


Isaiah 50 gave the people of God one of their best pictures of what the Messiah would really look like.

He would be, "the suffering servant."

He would be beaten, mocked, spat upon...but not disgraced.

How is that possible? It doesn't make sense to us human beings that someone could suffer at the shaming hands of others but not "be disgraced."

Isn't it automatically disgraceful if someone pulls out your beard and spits in your face?

What if they nail you to a cross and leave you to die?

And yet, this is the disgrace-proof Jesus. He is God among us, Emmanuel.

We've come a long way in a short time. The Christmas decorations are in their boxes, but it wasn't long ago at all that we lit the Christ candle and sang "Silent Night."

Now, God among us is about to be rejected by the humanity he came to save.

But he is not abandoned.

The great good news is that through him, neither are we. Never.

Christians throughout the centuries have learned this lesson. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed our country by leading with non-violence.

Abused, but not disgraced. That is real strength, and it's what's on offer to everyone who will pick up their own cross and follow this suffering servant.

Resurrection waits on the other side.

Grace & Peace,
Adam

No comments: