Mar 2, 2010

Satisfied

Psalm 63:1-8 (NIV)

O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.

2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.

3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.

4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.

5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

6 On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.

7 Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.

8 My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

Ever have trouble sleeping?

I rarely have that experience. I usually go to sleep fairly easily, and hardly ever wake up in the night.

But, just like everybody else, I do occasionally have those nights when the clock seems to make fun of my inability to doze.

I don't know about you, but for me, when I can't sleep it's because I'm thinking about my problems through "the watches of the night," not because I'm thinking about God.

Psalm 63 is a psalm for the anxious. It's the insomniac's psalm. The solution this psalm-writer finds is not in a bottle or an infomercial.

It's simply an intimate, powerful knowledge of the love of God.

Everything will be ok. Roll over and go back to sleep.

Grace & Peace,

Adam



1 comment:

Jeff said...

Sometimes we find ourselves in a desert. Perhaps we are in the grip of a great fear or are experiencing the darkness of “the valley of the shadow.” To put another perspective and recall a story we’ve heard before. It is the story of David and his fear as he continues eluding Saul and his son while in the wilderness. During this dark time he is thirsty, alone and fearful that he is on the brink of death. At this time maybe a low point or maybe not David knows that single most lasting satisfaction can only be found through the grace of GOD. Just like David and our own sleepless nights we must know that we can call on GOD to help us and with his grace everything is ok and peaceful.

So don’t spend your time turning over and over in the bed or create unnecessary anxiety for yourself. Go to GOD in prayer and share with him your problems and discover for yourself what David discovered the power, strength and beauty of GODs grace. His promise is secure and within this psalm we are assured again that with GOD at our side we are never alone.

As I continue my own journey giving to GOD my needs is not a selfish thing, it is what he wants us to do because it draws us closer to him. Just like your own children, we want them to share and be open about the bully at school or the stereo-type name calling because they get good grades, knows the teacher or is an athlete. It’s not all relative, a problem in your heart is a barrier that keeps GOD out and anxiety in.