Oct 31, 2007

Crown


2 Timothy 4:6-8 NIV

For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.


Last night, I happened to catch an episode of "Frontline" on PBS. It was all about the work of one, small town, familiy-operated funeral home.

The documentary moved, person by person, from the time of terminal illness, through death, to the preparation of the body, funeral and burial or cremation.

I know...good bedtime TV viewing, huh?

For me, though, the show was absolutely captivating...because I felt like I knew all the people involved.

As a pastor, I've been to more than my share of funerals. I've officiated many times, and worked closely in ministry with grieving families and those whose profession is that of caring for the dead and the loved ones left behind.

What does that have to do with Paul's words to us today?

Everything, it seems to me.

In my life, this scripture has become a pillar of strength in times of loss. Many times, I have stood at the funerals of faithful saints who have died in Christ, and shared this scripture with their families and loved ones.

"I have fought the good fight...I have finished the race...I have kept the faith."

Mortality is a reality for all of us. It's not something we choose to dwell on all the time, nor should we.

But it's not to be run from, either.

Do you know, I have known funeral directors who are among the most positive, funny, upbeat people that I've ever met. Given the nature of their work, how could that even be possible?

I think they know the secret that Paul is trying to teach us.

There can be a great freedom found in knowing that life is fleeting, and ultimately beyond our control. One of the great goals of anyone's life, therefore, has got to be making peace with God, here and now, while it's still today.

"Departure" is a real part of being human. But fear doesn't have to be.

There is a race to be run, and the only thing to be afraid of is one day looking back from the departure gate, wishing we'd run it earlier, or more fully.

May God give us the strength to run that race, and not grow weary...and to always appreciate the gift.


Prayer: We remember the Apostle Paul and all who have been "poured out" after running their race in faith. We thank you for those lives that have changed our own. We pray for both fun and safety for the children and families of our communities on this Halloween night.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen

Tomorrow's Scripture: 2 Timothy 4:16-18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first began to take my religion seriously, a family member of mine died. The weird thing is that when it happened, I didnt cry. I cant even remember being greatly saddened by the event. I do remember my sister looking at me and asking through her tears: "Why arent you crying?"

And at first, I didnt know how to respond. I just shrugged my shoulders. Then I asked her why we should cry during the greatest moment of our great grandmother's life: her ascension.

She did run the race. She had kept her faith. And for that, God kept His promise to her.

Anonymous said...

I hope to one day be like Paul and know without a doubt that when it comes my time to cross the finish line...that I actually cross the finish line. I want people to know that I was a man of God. That I ran as hard as I could after the prize...after the only true prize...after Jesus Christ.