Oct 22, 2007

Wisdom


Psalm 119:97-104
King James Version

O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.

I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.

I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.

I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.


How hard do you work for "understanding?"

It really depends on your personality. Different people attack life in all different kinds of ways.

Some people (like me) mostly try to "figure it out."

When presented with a problem, or situation, or options, my natural inclination is to make a thorough review of all the possibilities, weigh them deliberately, and act only after having understood things to the greatest of my abilities.

That's why it's always tough (but maybe a little bit relieving) to run headlong into scripture that puts human understanding into perspective.

Life is not, ultimately, about what we can know and figure out.

Interestingly...wonderfully...scripture tells us that the best kind of wisdom is obedience.

"Thy commandments have made me wiser than mine enemies..."

Sometimes, especially in Psalms, the King James just rings beautifully, doesn't it?

"I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts...through thy precepts I get understanding..."

Efforts to understand life are excellent...when that effort is applied through scripture. Real wisdom and "understanding" is the learning and application of God's word. It's not easy, but it is absolutely worth the effort.

Prayer: Father God, we pray that you would lead us into every right path. May you give us the wisdom needed to truly love your law.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.

Tomorrow's Scripture: 2 Timothy 2:8-10

No comments: