Oct 11, 2007

Flame


2 Timothy 1:1-7 (NIV)


Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,

To Timothy, my dear son:
Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.


I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy.


I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.


For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

I love the survival shows that are so popular right now on the Discovery Channel. My favorite is "Survivorman," where this crazy Canadian, Les Stroud, goes out into the wilderness alone for a week and films himself.

Usually, he doesn't take anything with him but a multi-tool and maybe a flint. Sometimes, he doesn't even have the flint. There's nothing better on the show than watching him start a fire from scratch out in the woods.

He uses the "rub two sticks together" method, and sure enough, after a lot of trying, he'll get a fire. It's not easy. The little sparks that the friction finally create have to be lovingly tended.

They have to be placed perfectly in the dry tinder. They need oxygen, but not too much or they'll go out.

When, finally, he has "fanned into flame," he usually lets out a whoop of celebration. Fire is a good thing, and we take it for granted at the flip of a switch in our modern world.

Spiritual fire is a great thing. It's the best thing. And it has to be tended.

Timothy was a young Christian, "on fire," when Paul wrote him his instructions. Many mentors had tended that flame of faith.

Timothy's mother, and grandmother had created the sparks and brought them forward into fire. Paul's letter was intended to do the same.

"I remember your tears," Paul says, with the strong implication that Timothy should as well.

We all should. Survival out there isn't too easy without a strong sense of God's presence in your life. Fan that spark of faith into a flame --- in your own life, and even someone else's.

Prayer: O Lord, we ask that the gift you have placed within us might be "fanned into flame," as it was in Timothy's life.


Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen. Tomorrow's Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:8-14

No comments: